milling wallnut

gobbypunk

HI guys I have a wallnut tree to mill its got a y fork and the customer wants as wide boards as poss out of it would it be better to cut it through and through or to do my best at quater sawing it bearing in mind it is in a back garden so no machinery to turn it with only brute force they want me to make a dinning table from the planks so i dont want the planks to cup being new to milling I would appreciate your thoughts

Cheers Mark

I have only ever milled up one walnut, several years ago as they are quite scarce up here. It was lashing with rain and it was sited on a 60 degree slope which I couldn't move it from. I knew if I left it till a dry day the woodturners would get it and cut it into little lumps! I got it ok and a bloody good cold as well. Timber was fantastic and one of these days it is going to end up as a grandfather clock. Only made one item from the smaller planks so far -a casket for the ashes of a neighbour's brother. Looked beautiful as well with the laser-engraving on the top.

My advice to you Gobbypunk is to get it asap before someone else does.