Chogging down, getting timber to land flat on the ground cosistantly?

Arran Turner

As you said there are a lot of variables in you question, I tend to do a step cut up to about 18 inch and about 3ft-4ft in height depending on the weight of the timber.

If you can crash the stuff down with not having to worry about miss jones fence,green house etc ,then a pull line at the top and gob in as low down as you feel happy with.

The lads on the ground can work with the timber a lot faster then yourself.

If you have got fence etc to consider then nice and steady 4-6ft sections on the lowering system just make sure that if the timber has a chance of swinging back that you and you feet are above it .

Regards David

Get the ground crew to leave a brushwood crash-mat then bomb that.

Try gob cuts of different angles, step cuts, whatever you want.

Depends on all those things you listed - the more you practice the better you get.

http://arbtalk.co.uk/forum/video-forum/70996-roadside-spruce.html

Have alook at Tim's video, he manages it with consistent skill that olympic diver Tom Daley would be proud of.

Watched the video which prompted the thread, but been thinking about it for the last few days, it's not essential to land them the same way but would be tidy. And with the larger timber it saves the ground as well

I try my best to get butt ends of brash facing the chipper, with timber that I can hand hold and throw 9/10 I cut all the way through and let the log rest on the stem and throw from there. Bigger bits of timber I gob it but treat it like a jump cut makes life so much easier when pushing it it off I use the same techniques when lowing.

One more thing and this is my pet hate logs piled on top of brash it's just lazy unless the brash is been used as a brash mat

30 degree gob cut.

Estimate 1/5th of the height of the tree in the log size.

Cut log off and it will land flat nearly every time.

Jerry Beranek called it felling ratios.

Thanks dude, was the sort of thing I was looking to hear will have a play when the right job comes up. Looking for consistency when working on large wood :)