Chipper Revs Mod

Dean Lofthouse

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

And the gain to waiting for the rollers to start is what exactly ? Regardless of if you are off getting the next bit of wood, what about the times where it is the last bit ?

Surely any tree surgeon wants the machine there and ready to work, quick. Why would putting a delay be of any interest other than environment and fuel costs and fuel costs would be outweighed by labour costs ! As to the environment, that is a different topic I think.

The answer to the above depends on whether you are the user of the machine or the owner of the machine. You need to read the complete thread really.

It was stated earlier, nothing annoys me more or is a waste of fuel than a chipper sat there revving it's nuts off. If you were sat at traffic lights and sat there with your foot hard on the throttle, even 15 seconds would seem like an eternity.

We are talking of a timed or programable system with a delay before it shuts the revs down to around half (so build up doesn't take as long) so normal feeding isn't affected, but if the chipper is left for longer than a certain pre-programmed time it will knock the revs down to save on fuel and stress.

This has got to be a good thing from whatever perspective you look at it, unless of course you are in the business of selling chippers, then you wouldn't want the machine to last too long

Edited by Dean Lofthouse

You misunderstand me, its not about selling chippers. I think we all know schliesing last the longest out of most, if not all and that isn't a sales pitch, it's a fact. We are also one of the last manufacuters that build our machines in house and all by hand, therefore we are able to make such modifications very quickly and very easily compared to other manufacturers. This is why I said that Kubota are releasing their new engines within the next year, all with electric throttle which would help this modification but to seriously contemplate a new idea first you have to understand it!

I agree with your example of the car at the lights but I still don't see the gain.

I see no advantage to putting additional electrics to a machine that has no productive gain, if there was, then we would all offer such a system? Wouldn't we? Especially those suppliers that have been asked to do it? This could then also apply to the high speed shredder market and they don't have such systems either. Again I see your idea but speed IMO is the downfall here.

I'm not being funny but other than an engine reving, which it is designed to do and a fuel cost, what else is the idea? The costs of the electrics to be wired into control panels and control panels to control it, would again outweigh the savings.:confused1:

OK you could start fitting buttons and simple systems but I think we all know this would only work for a while? I'm always open to ideas but I just do not see the gain. Slow speed shredders where immediate start can happen then OK but high speed flywheels, not so sure!

I'm not being funny but other than an engine reving, which it is designed to do and a fuel cost, what else is the idea? The costs of the electrics to be wired into control panels and control panels to control it, would again outweigh the savings.:confused1:

!

Fuel cost is the major one, especailly on the bigger machines, noise pollution (domestic sector), less stress on the machine... I've been on jobs where the machine has been running 6 hours and you can safely say that a machine spends half of that time not feeding.

A chipper that is not feeding is not a productive machine, sad as I may be, I have sat in the tree and watched the ground crew feed my chipper and I would say at the very least it doesn't feed for 50% of the time.

Also, many times we squeeze into someones drive, back the chipper upto an aleyway down the side of the garage, nowhere to stack brash other than round the back and drag each piece round to chip, in this situation, 75% of the time the chipper is not feeding.

As for a load of wiring and electronics ??

Basic stuff, a long action electrical solonoid, same as kubota already use on some of their engines, a solid state optical sensor, a relay and a solid state timer or delay.

Really basic stuff

You can't see the gain Scott because you aren't using them every day, day in day out.

Another downside to having the chipper on full revs all the time as in a situation you described (alleyway..) is that you have less chance of catching the attention of a groundie, and from my pooint of view the constant hum of a machine allbeit at a distance and wearing eardefenders is exhausting. There may be several minutes while the groundy is busy during which its not worth throttling down or switching off the machine, but it is still not actually chipping. Those numerous occasions are when such a device would really come into its own.:001_cool:

if the machine is down an alleyway between two buildings and is just sat there revving its nuts off with no wood being fed in, i would have thought that just the amount of decibels being reverberated around between the buildings would make it nearly illegal under hse legislation regarding exposure to noise; it's bad enough when the machine is doing it's job of chipping.

Too right they need to listen to what we want/need.

Too much R&D is done in the workshop and not in the field

I am crossing from chippers to saws here but what about the Husky 338xpt, that should have been an 020T beater but instead its once again a second class saw.

Give me something for a week and I can tell you what the problems are.

Although I see it all like I see the PC industry, why make the best now when we can improve it all the time and get sales intermediately.