Beech stem for sale

Dave177

Hi I would be happy to come and mill it for a share of the planks it would be a shame to cut it up for firewood when I could make something out of it and maybe make you something just a thought

Cheers Mark

(chainsaw carving/milling in Dorset)

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

The rest of you are a bunch of tight bastards! I could sell that off the saw at £14 a cube at the very least, and it would take me two hours to collect it (assuming it was reasonably local) and saw it. 34 x £11 profit is £374, so a reasonable rate of return.

Jonathan

Mmmmm. On the other hand I could probably turn that into about £300 worth of logs with a couple of hours work.

Not having a go Jonathan, quite the opposite. The way I see it the market is all about supply and demand, and there's too much timber like this around to supply what is, in my experience, a limited market. The firewood market however is raging. Turning a quick buck from logs seems to be "easy" these days, wether it be due to lack of skill needed, through to the ease of anyone being able to have a go, timber of any sort will always slip into the log bag.

One thing I do feel also is the actual price for mill able stuff is too low in fact. This is why so much ends up on the firewood heap. The usual "issues" associated with selling premium stuff to wood turners and craftsmen make it not worth the hassle for the relatively little extra than simply logging it.

I don't mean to give offence, just the way I see it from our end these days. Perhaps if firewood demand drops, or the price of mill able stuff increases, I doubt I'll be bothering in the future.

Possibly depressing for some, but true.

Mmmmm. On the other hand I could probably turn that into about £300 worth of logs with a couple of hours work.

Not having a go Jonathan, quite the opposite. The way I see it the market is all about supply and demand, and there's too much timber like this around to supply what is, in my experience, a limited market. The firewood market however is raging. Turning a quick buck from logs seems to be "easy" these days, wether it be due to lack of skill needed, through to the ease of anyone being able to have a go, timber of any sort will always slip into the log bag.

One thing I do feel also is the actual price for mill able stuff is too low in fact. This is why so much ends up on the firewood heap. The usual "issues" associated with selling premium stuff to wood turners and craftsmen make it not worth the hassle for the relatively little extra than simply logging it.

I don't mean to give offence, just the way I see it from our end these days. Perhaps if firewood demand drops, or the price of mill able stuff increases, I doubt I'll be bothering in the future.

Good points, the way I see it milling beech is changing hands at £2 hoppus delivered for upholstery grade , where else is there a bulk market for beech in the uk?

If it was a milling log , and personally I would walk past it , why would you pay £3 roadside for something you could get for £2 delivered? that's not really tight, just good business , AND I know who my parents are thankyou

The price I quoted is the fresh price. I've got about 30 cubic foot of similar grade beech in the vacuum kiln at the moment for a customer and it's going out at £26 a cube, so 34 cube would be worth £884. Not that many hours work to produce that.

Lgl - I made a conscious decision this year to ignore market rate. It's resulted in a drop in my prices, and whilst it's taken a couple of months to twig with customers, I am now very busy. I'm aiming to offer a fair price to suppliers, and sell for a price I can make a reasonable buck on to customers. Just because something is a given species doesn't increase the costs on my end. I think that customers have respect for simple mathematics like that, and the honesty that accompanies it. I wouldn't like to be accused of profiteering and my main aim is to increase utilisation of British timber.

The beech stem in question might not be worth £3 a hoppus to you, but it would be to me. Many of the sawmillers on here cannot justify or afford a full wagon load of timber, especially if it is one species. For most of us, being able to collect one stem is ideal, as it means that not to much capital is tied up at any one time. For me, if a good tree comes up on the radar, I start to market it to my customers before I am in possession of it. We're generally not commercial suppliers to folk like upholstery manufacturers, so we don't operate as such.

Either way, I still think it's worth £120! :laugh1:

Yeh, I can see your points there bigj.

One thing I meant to comment on earlier though, and I think you highlighted and reminded me of is volume.

While a log or two like this, to a guy such as yourself is a big issue, needs nurturing and has a specific market for a discerning customer, for a log man, it's simply a couple of tons of logs, to be mixed with the rest of the hardwood heap. One log of many, and the buyer is likely to buy in 20 tons at a time, churning out the 100 quid a cube premium firewood bag without a second thought once it's left the yard.

As a result, although the log man makes less out of this log, it's within a greater turnover, and with the rest of the "load" it's processed with, will return possibly a greater profit.

Just thoughts.

I am still interested to know how it converts on a 1:1 recovery on a log of that spec.

It doesn't.

The measured volume of the log is 34 Hoppus feet.

This should convert to 34 cubic feet when milled.

Hoppus feet are specifically designed to be a good approximation to cubic foot yield.

Alec

It doesn't.

The measured volume of the log is 34 Hoppus feet.

This should convert to 34 cubic feet when milled.

Hoppus feet are specifically designed to be a good approximation to cubic foot yield.

Alec

That's my point, look at the faults that log has and it cant apply.

This really might have blown this blokes chance of selling his log on here

If I was him I would wish I had not bothered posting

Thanks for posting the pic

There might be someone intreasted in this bit of wood because of the colouring in the wood

For say a fire place 2bed side tables etc it would polish up really nice

Why can we not just leave it upto the bloke and the sell to have the chat about what rite or wrong with this log

Sometime this forum winds me up

If u got something good to say or maybe try to help the Bloke out then say it if not dont bother

he clearly dont want to fire wood the log overwise he would not be asking for millers he would have just cut it up him self

This really might have blown this blokes chance of selling his log on here

If I was him I would wish I had not bothered posting

I'd say he's been lucky it wasn't closed and get told to put it up in classifieds, but as it happens I'd hope some constructive comments have come out of the thread:001_rolleyes:

Sometime this forum winds me up

If u got something good to say or maybe try to help the Bloke out then say it if not dont bother

I've participated and read through this whole thread, and I don't recollect any negative, offensive or derogatory comments..... Until yours. Ironic really.