Holm/Holly Oak Quercus Ilex

Billhook

As beautiful as the rays are It's not a very stable timber or has the strength of normal oak which would be why it's not regarded as a sought after timber to mill... If ever I have offered it to a friend to mill for free he's turned me down.

Seth you have a real issue with timber being logged don't you , can I just add if you turners turned up and actually gave us something in return for it we would save more! Personally I save as much decent timber as possible but it gets bloody annoying having some one snoop around asking questions and taking your time for half hour thinking he's doing you a favour, Slack bladder on here was great to deal with and can come back any time but the last two people who asked me I ignored or said no as before they just came along criticising how I store my wood, taking my time then taking timber whilst still complaint about how much we waste whilst offering you nothing for it is just offensive... No

Wonder people just think sod it and log it.. Sorry just had to get that off my chest:)

Sent from my iPhone using Arbtalk

Were not all like that I have a deal going with the guy I get it from no money changes hands but I make things he asks me to and that works for use but I buy timber at a far price for it

Sent from my ST25i using Arbtalk mobile app

It sounds a bit like the Turkey Oak which I planked up into some very good floorboards, so not as durable as English Oak outside or in the ground, but quite acceptable for panelling, furniture, and flooring.

Wiki says the following

The wood is hard and tough, and has been used since ancient times for general construction purposes as pillars, tools, wagons (Hesiod, Works and Days 429), vessels, and wine casks. It is also used as firewood, or in charcoal manufacture.

The Holm Oak is one of the top three trees used in the establishment of truffle orchards, or truffières. Truffles grow in an ectomycorrhizal association with the tree's roots.

Matty F, you are not far wrong in your assesment of most turners , as most are retired etc and do it as a hobby and do not sell for profit/ income .There is far more wood from arb arisings than is ever likely to be used in the craft market . I get my wood from several local contacts and they are happy to let me loose in their firewood pile for as long as I want , I usually look for ugly knotty stuff, fork/ crotch sections and less common species , the wood is always wet / damp / green and I can usually fill my car ( honda jazz) for 40- 50 £ ( more than firewood and no work ) which we are both happy with , however I only cut up small sections /2nd measures of wood , nice oak, elm .yew butts etc are priced higher by negotiation ! I probably only buy a few hundred pounds worth a year , and I do quite a lot of turning . It would be very unusual for a turner to spend hundreds in one go ! Unfortunately if people see a turners wood suppliers catalogue and see the prices , they do a quick calculation that all butts are worth thousands !!! ( they rarely are ) I really do not know any one who has sold wood of much value to a turner so if it is your wood do what you want with it !! If you have a buyer then you will get to know what he wants and save it aside for him .