BS 8545:2014 released today

Amelanchier

I don't care what they cost to produce surely it's our right to access them freely, be it as a punter or contractor. It is our British Standard for goodness sakes. It's a bit like voting for a political party whose manifesto costs £200 to read!

(Grey git.....I'm out of the stocks now....what kept you? Traffic lights/roadworks?)

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It is a poor do when local authorities specify that works have to be done in accordance with something that they have never seen or as 1 I spoke to recently, didn't even know that bs3998 had been revised in 2010 :-/

Also had clients ask to look at copies when trying to explain that works should be carried out to bs...... and not just hacked.

The high cost for what is just a few sheets of paper or a costless download is ridiculous and makes trying to work to it and promote professional standards harder, if it was less even say £50 surely they would sell more copies an thus make more from its existence??

:mad:

sent while pretending to do something important on my mobile.

So, out of interest, would you actually want to buy this one at a more reasonable cost? I know most people would probably buy BS3998 as it's particularly relevant but I wonder how many of the nursery/planting type standards people would actually want.

Anybody know the cost of being a BSI member? Looks like the bronze level suits most people. Getting 50% off BS downloads is surely worth the membership? Maybe if a few pooled together it would be a massive collective saving?

We looked into it a while back and it was several hundred pounds. Due to the limited number of standards that would be applicable to us and the infrequent updates there wasn't any benefit.:sneaky2:

Edit; it may be beneficial to your dads business though, being involved in multiple fields as he is. You can soon get a quote by filling in your details on the BS site

Edited by Gary Prentice

Possible not a great demand for this 1 but as you say 3998 for almost every 1 involved in treework, 5837 for anyone involved with trees on construction sites and 1 on planting who's no. I forget that I've been told to work too but never seen.

Sham members of the arb association can't get a package of all the relevant information for a reasonable cost like the health and safety products.

100quid for a download is just criminal in my opinion.

sent while pretending to do something important on my mobile.

• 5 months later...