357xpg piston+barrel

pyro

Thats what i was leaning towards, getting rid of it.

I had it set up late 2012, but it wasn't used an awful lot.

Im pretty sure it was running lean and it nipped up. Ive checked over the boot/rubber carb mount and its fine, but also found a dodgy thread on the flange (the bit that the boot fits into, and carb clamps/bolts onto) Other than that the only other thing is a 2-3mm tear in the decomp pipe.

Ill get the crankcase pressure tested and carb set up once shes together.

Ben

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Another plus vote for Tesgol and the Highway products.:thumbup:

I put a Highgway BB kit on my 660, and the finish on the cylinder esp was better than the oem one. When it did explode (through my incompetence) both Tesgol and the Highgway company were the most helpfull I've ever known any company to be over a warranty question.

They paid for the whole saw (now scrap) to be collected from me and sent to the manufacturers in Thailand where they examined it. Even though I'd fitted a slightly modded exhaust, smoothed the inlet, slightly re-shaped and bevelled the exhaust and slightly enlarged the transfers they made no issue of these things, as they had not caused the problem.

When it turned out to be my fault (after the seventh or eighth assembly I must have omitted the base gasket I'd made:blushing::001_huh::blushing:) they still paid me for keeping my scrap saw (£150-£200, can't quite remember) and would have paid me double that towards a replacement saw had they found a manufacturing fault.

Best service ever!:thumbup1:

Well the cylinder is here, all i could get was the 46mm hyway, 47mm was out of stock for a while, all parts look good. Ive got:

Piston

Ring

Gudgeon pin

Small end bearing

Gasket

Cylinder decompressor blank.

still waiting on:

Carb partition

Flange

and metal clip

Any tips on getting the piston and ring into the cylinder, Ive got the ring on the piston, and yes its the right way up!

Ben

two methods

Position the ring ends equal distance from the pin, oil the bore, push the front part of the bore over the front part of the ring and then push the sides in and then ease the ring ends in with a flat end of a screw driver using light force and ese the cylinder down over the cylinder.

Alternatively, you can make or purchase a tool that slips over the piston to compress them -

http://nicholssportbikes.com/images/large_photos/N_SIL_GRN_RED_BLK_BLU_COMP.jpg

Both methods will work just fine - the saw has a single ring - very easy.

Check the bevels on the ports are good and pop the ring only in the bore to make sure there is slight clearance on the ring ends:thumbup:

I do it as Spuds first suggestion.

Due to it having the cutouts in the bottom of the cylinder you can get most of it in with your fingers compressing the rings thru the cut out and use a screwdriver to finish.

Just don't force anything.

If you struggle you can use a cable tie around the ring to compress them and just push the cylinder down over it. The 357 is easy tho having the cutouts in the cylinder base and only 1 ring and think you will find it much easier than you think.

BTW if you considering doing this before you get the partition remember you wont be able to bolt the cylinder down until the partition is fitted on do to it syncing in the rails on the saw body so to speak.

Now that is something id forgotten about good call! Not done anything with it yet besides popping the ring on.

Id read about the zip tie method, may give that a go if I cant ease it in.

Cheers!