What effect would scottish independence have on the UK tree industry?

daltontrees

You are assuming that once independence happens that the SNP (and Salmond) will be voted in as the governing party.

IF independence happens there will an election to decide who governs Scotland.

The 4 party system in Scotland might not happen. If all those mp's who vote no decide that the grass is greener in England and want to further there careers( cos it is clearly not about principles anymore for many).

In an Independent Scotland we could have new parties with the Scottish people at the centre. You could have an OAP party, a youth party, Disabled party, Business owners party, Workers party, as well as your green party which could then get a larger voice.

These parties could then work together to create a fairer, forward looking country.

We won't need the stale LAB CON LIB SNP parties.

No House of Lords. That should be enough reason to go independent in itself.

I think really clever thing would be to avoid political parties 100%

no one will explain to me how they help democracy

I can see how they help politicians, but not how they help the country

We wouldn't have gone into Iraq if we'd had true democracy

Switzerland seems to be nearest to real democracy and they aint doing too bad , but it does mean binning aristocracy, royal family, petty politics etc

• Replies 305
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Independence could be a nightmare, it could go badly wrong at first, but like a boy named Sue, it would have to get tough or die. Scots are tough. I think it would be OK in the long run. When you've no-one to blame but yourself it makes you a man.

Well now you see that's coming a lot closer to the Jim Sillars point of view which I find much more genuine and admirable than anything Salmond does.

Salmond is trying to sell it on the basis that everything will be much better, Sillars just sells it on the basis of a desire to be independent and everything else will be whatever is necessary to BE independent. No gloss, no conjecture, frankly..........no bullshit, let's get on with it and see what we can do.

Salmond has said he will allow USA nuclear armed submarines to dock in an independent Scotland on a 'we wont ask, you don't tell us if there's missiles on board' basis.

He wants to be part of NATO, but this wont happen because Scotland would be the first NATO member in history to ask for nuclear weapons to be removed from their country. NATO simply wouldn't allow it. The UK's nuclear submarine fleet would be moved to the east coast of the USA and Scotland would not get into NATO leaving us defenceless and having no influence what so ever in NATO foreign policy. His policy on nuclear arms is not credible.

Re Iraq/Afghanistan, if you think it's bad having the USA and it's western allies running the world just now, just wait until you see a world dominated by China.

OK I had forgotten about the NATO difficulty. A bit awkward to resolve. Or not even try. If anyone invades we'll all charge down teh hillsidew with claymores in the time-honoured tradition of scots as cannon-fodder.

Are there any undecided voters here?!

Funnily enough, I am still undecided alyhough my sympathies lie with Independence and then vote all the b***ards out and start with a fresh bunch. I have had such a bad experience over the new High Hedges Act and the way the scottish Parliament handled it and is handling the guidance that I am very worried what they would get up to if their heads got any bigger and their brains any smaller. I am more or less putting my decision on how they perform on my test-issue Updates - High Hedges Scotland help advice representation over the next 2 months.

Funnily enough, I am still undecided alyhough my sympathies lie with Independence and then vote all the b***ards out and start with a fresh bunch. I have had such a bad experience over the new High Hedges Act and the way the scottish Parliament handled it and is handling the guidance that I am very worried what they would get up to if their heads got any bigger and their brains any smaller. I am more or less putting my decision on how they perform on my test-issue Updates - High Hedges Scotland help advice representation over the next 2 months.

Fair enough. You have to decide based on the issues that are important to you. As an Englishman north of the border (we've been here for nearly 10 years), I can assure you that I wouldn't want to live anywhere else in the UK. Scotland has in the wilderness and natural beauty that I'm so fond of. I would still leave if Independence went through though, that is how strongly I feel about it.

its no longer a Independence vote more for a sovereign state which are manged for the crown by Westminster

spain would never agree to eu membership

there is also the fact that the uk will own all the infrastructure

also work permits and travel visas will be needed

its a shame the neds cant see they are been stitched up

Must admit I think I'd go for it if I lived in Scotland

Just fewer pigs with their heads in the trough

Is that per capita ?? I`m not sure . I,as a Scot, would just like to experience a period of financial stability before I retire. I started in self employment in 1979....then thatcher .. then turmoil and greed ever since. imo they`re all a shower of small minded, corupt b******s trying to make money off the backs of the few of us that are actually left working for a living.