Importing a bar from USA?

Arbtech Tree Services

Evening all,

As i can't find a listing in this country for the bar i want, i'm looking at getting it from Amazon.com in the States.

It's an Oregon Powermatch 243RNDD009 so 24" for Husky 372XP in 3/8 but .063 not .058 as i want to be able to use the same bulk reel of chain as my big Stihls.

Amazon want £43.27 for the bar with £8.05 shipping to UK and £10.26 Import Fees Deposit, giving a total of £61.58. Should the import fees be less they will refund the difference.

So am i likely to be collared for VAT as well or is this the 'import fees' - i can't find the answers in their wording?

Anyone had any experience of similar please?

Regards,

Steve.

• Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

parcel force wont deliver until i pay import fees of £26.33 hope this helps

Hoping i'm covered by this from Amazon :

Those items for shipment to countries outside of the U.S. may be subject to taxes, customs duties and fees levied by the destination country ("Import Fees"). The recipient of the shipment is the importer of record in the destination country and is responsible for all Import Fees.

With respect to each item for which Import Fees have been calculated, you authorize Amazon Export or Merchant (as applicable) to designate a carrier ("Designated Carrier") to act as your agent with the relevant customs and tax authorities in the destination country, to clear your merchandise, process and remit your actual Import Fees for such item.

"Import Fees Deposit" represents an estimate of the Import Fees that will be levied on the items in your order for shipment to countries outside of the U.S. By placing your order, you agree to allow Amazon Export and/or Merchant (as applicable) to collect the Import Fees Deposit for the applicable items in your order. This deposit will be used, on your behalf, to reimburse the Designated Carriers for the import fees that they have paid on your behalf to the appropriate authorities of the destination country.

You further agree that the Designated Carriers may disclose to Amazon Export or Merchant (as applicable) the amount of actual Import Fees levied on the item you have purchased from Amazon Export and/or Merchant ("Actual Import Fees"). In the event that the Import Fees Deposit exceeds the Actual Import Fees, Amazon Export or Merchant (as applicable) will refund the difference to you.

Regards,

Steve.

How can you? To pay vat the company selling you the product would have to be vat registered?

If you purchase from a US company, you pay their local duty in the US and then pay the VAT to the UK customs who return it to HMRC.

I have just checked on their site and it does say if your UK company is VAT registered you can claim it back but if you import goods over a certain value and it is something like £20, you will be liable for import duty and handling fee - I also had this on a pair of Binocs I imported from the US.

The Amazon scheme is faultless, I imported an X27 axe and paid the duty up front and it worked fine.

Oh - I also had to pay the VAT on a Meteor kit that another ordered but was due to be delivered to my home address.

Just speaking from experience Steve - got done once too often and is backed up by the HMRC website!