best way to tackle this

David_chainsaw

Hello people could i have a little bit oh advice please next door had a tree come down and because i have a chainsaw i said ill have a crack at it for him but i no theres right and wrong ways to cut a fallen tree or the chain and bar will get stuck and thats bad i no and is what happened today i clear most of the brunches first then had a little crack at it but even tho i have a chainsaw and do know how to use IT safely i'm not experienced in doing this i only used it to take some very small trees in my garden last year but id love to get into this type of work just trying to find the funds to get my CS30&CS31 but im behind one bills as it is and job center don't want to help anyway back to topic so if anyone could tell me how to do it right that would be great just trying to help out a neighbor so no haters please i have some photos of what needs doing and what iv done so far

Next Door Photos by David_Reason | Photobucket

Thanks Dave

If it is supported either end then under cut it so it parts away from the bar then it wont get stuck . If it on the ground dont cut right through so that your chain does not go in the soil . Cut part way then roll the log and cut the rest then you wont be sharpening all the time . That sorta thing ?

Hello people could i have a little bit oh advice please next door had a tree come down and because i have a chainsaw i said ill have a crack at it for him but i no theres right and wrong ways to cut a fallen tree or the chain and bar will get stuck and thats bad i no and is what happened today i clear most of the brunches first then had a little crack at it but even tho i have a chainsaw and do know how to use IT safely i'm not experienced in doing this i only used it to take some very small trees in my garden last year but id love to get into this type of work just trying to find the funds to get my CS30&CS31 but im behind one bills as it is and job center don't want to help anyway back to topic so if anyone could tell me how to do it right that would be great just trying to help out a neighbor so no haters please i have some photos of what needs doing and what iv done so far

Next Door Photos by David_Reason | Photobucket

Thanks Dave

Just cut and clear a small bit at a time, keep a tidy safe workspace.

That way you will be able to clearly see where the tension and compression lies.

Remember when snedding never stand on the side that is the likely direction the tree will roll once supporting limb are removed.

Sent using Arbtalk Mobile App

only advice is

wear the correct safety gear,

read your manufactures guidence

look at the AFAG guides on tree cutting,

Stihl do a little guide to chain sharpening that you should find useful

there is a course for occasional users too a one day basic one...

also ISA video's are very informative

below is a simplified drawing. To explain I have put two places I want to cut, Cut A and Cut B...

In cut A, the trunk is suspended between two points and I want to cut in between those two points. Put simply, the trunk "wants" to bend in the middle, so the mid point touches the ground, in effect, this will compress the top and open out the bottom of the trunk.

given this info, you are able to see that when the log is finally cut through (or near enough for the weight of the trunk to start moving, you will want you saw coming up, from the "opening" side of the trunk.

First cut on A will therefore be a top cut (compression) not really more than a third of the way through, and the second cut will come up towards the first(tension).

In Cut B, the forces are opposite to cut A as the trunk will want to open out at the top (tension), and close up at the bottom (compression), so the cuts will be opposite those in Cut A.

First cut from the bottom (About a third of the way through) second cut from the top...

Should stop getting the saw jammed.

cc0e7ebe-f2ad-46f4-9a73-8576e4f08faa_zps19df2695.jpg

I would like to give big thanks to Tim (oldwoodcutter) for coming and helping me today in his own time and didn't charge me a penny there is still good people out there and he is one of them and he is one of the best this is the second time he has helped me out photos to be uploaded of him at work again big thanks tim

David

Tim Hard At Work Photos by David_Reason | Photobucket