grants

hi, i have bein on the forum for a few months just reading, i work for my self mainly grass cutting and hedge cutting and contract maintenance, and my tree work i get a tree surgeon in, but i really enjoy the ground work, so i thought i would try for my tree tickets, i still am yet to do them i have booked them for the end of the year,

well i have done loads of reserch into the prices as i am tight with money :001_smile: (you dont get rich by spending :001_tongue:) and my sister said have you tried for a grant, so i went to my local youth center and said try the princes trust, gave them a tinkly, got a meeting with a lady explained what i wanted to do and that anything would help even £10, and she rite loads of stuff down etc, i then got a phone call about 2 weeks later to say that i was aloud a cheque of £313 to do is my first course! so my cs30 is paid for and i only have got to pay out another £1100

so i thought i would let you guys know that if you are 18-25 that you can get grants to courses i was well chuffed! :001_smile:

PS the cheque gets written out in there name not yours

Edited by not for sale sorry

• 4 weeks later...

Their are certainly more openings for the 18-25 year old bracket so the ageist term is most definately the case.

As mentioned also, is the "round in circles" term which again I can personally vouch for as I have spent the last 4 month being passed onto numerous "Regeneration" groups for training people living in deprived areas only to end up being told that the funds cannot be provided as "the field is out of their experience" :thumbdown:?

The LSC initially told me that as I was recently made redundant and had a genuine job offer should I gain the necessary NPTC`s then it would be provided?

Anyone getting ANY funding deserves a pat on the back for how lucky they are.

Those who deserve nothing as such are the people who milk the money from where its governed to really go, as I have shamefully discovered :mad1:

Of course, in the ideal world where one would be able to afford their own training fees then it wouldnt be such a problem?

Dave - you can't have been lookng in the right places mate..

You could most likley get ILA funding, or something similar.

The best place to start looking for grants would be the job centre... they will know who can offer grants in your local area.. for example, up here in the Cairngorms National Park we can get grants for training, usually 45-50% of training costs only.

You could also get grants from your local chamber of commerce, local council etc.

yep

Circles... if the training worth paying for..... they wont fund it cause they know you will... job centre only ever seem interested in long term unemployed.. even then my long term unemployed mate only ever got the run around when he tried... defo ageist!!!:thumbdown:

the work will pay for the training, but not untill after you get the tickets, maybe they need to set up a student loan for nptc....

HI I have the same problems I am a full time long term carea for a very disabled relitive at home. I am wanting to retrain in and get my NPTC s for better life chances later on when this role ends .

I have sturggled to get any form of help from the Gov or anyware else . its really hard as have to manage on a pittance each week so you go running around in circuls trying to sorce money for training . The Gov up to the last year or so funded these short courses if you were on other bens but now they have stoped .

There is only a couple of collages in the country that will still will pay for the tuition fee if you are on housing or income support but you will be on the weighting list at the collage for a couple of years as they only run a couple of course a year with a max of 4 people .

The job center was no help as again its only if you are on JSA that you can get it paid for its very furstrating .:sad:

Eastwater