Running Windows on a Mac

Paul Barton

I am debating whether to get a Mac for my next main computer. My main issue is that some of the software I use will only run on the Windows operating system.

I have seen solutions such as Parallels desktop that allow you to run windows and the apple OS at the same time, which appears to be a good solution - if it works!

Does anyone have any experience of using this or similar?

Hi,

I use VM Ware Fusion on the three Macs we have, I prefer it to Parallels, because Windows is running in a virtual machine as opposed to on 'bare metal'. In this way Windows just runs like another program, so you can multi task it with ease.

A very big advantage of this is the ability to restore if/when it goes wrong, whats rather good is that you can keep your data outside the VM so allow Time Machine to back up any changes

Converting an existing PC to a VM is straight forward, so your old PC wil continue to exist on your Mac as a VM.

However, Im sure once you start using your Mac, you will enjoy the simplicity & find programs that will replace your MS ones (apart from Access)

Bon chance

N

• Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi,

I use VM Ware Fusion on the three Macs we have, I prefer it to Parallels, because Windows is running in a virtual machine as opposed to on 'bare metal'. In this way Windows just runs like another program, so you can multi task it with ease.

A very big advantage of this is the ability to restore if/when it goes wrong, whats rather good is that you can keep your data outside the VM so allow Time Machine to back up any changes

Converting an existing PC to a VM is straight forward, so your old PC wil continue to exist on your Mac as a VM.

However, Im sure once you start using your Mac, you will enjoy the simplicity & find programs that will replace your MS ones (apart from Access)

Bon chance

N

Thanks for this advice - can you explain what you mean by virtual machine? Would I keep my existing PC to run alongside the Mac?

Thanks for this advice - can you explain what you mean by virtual machine? Would I keep my existing PC to run alongside the Mac?

Hi

A virtual machine is simply a software generated environment for your desired operating system (Windows XP) It is a very desirable way to operate Windows (in my opinion of 30 + years in IT ) on a Mac, I have managed to completely break Windows BSOD once & recovered in under a minute, a re-install of Windows ect can take hours.

VMWare fusion is extremely stable on a Mac, if you migrated your existing PC using the converter, once the VM is installed your old PC is not needed, operating system & data reside on your Mac in a designated area. you can also isolate Windows from the Internet & use Mac based programs for Internet use, far more secure from malware etc.

VMWare Fusion may well be the simplest & best option

https://www.vmware.com/support/windows_to_mac/ for more

N

Hi

A virtual machine is simply a software generated environment for your desired operating system (Windows XP) It is a very desirable way to operate Windows (in my opinion of 30 + years in IT ) on a Mac, I have managed to completely break Windows BSOD once & recovered in under a minute, a re-install of Windows ect can take hours.

VMWare fusion is extremely stable on a Mac, if you migrated your existing PC using the converter, once the VM is installed your old PC is not needed, operating system & data reside on your Mac in a designated area. you can also isolate Windows from the Internet & use Mac based programs for Internet use, far more secure from malware etc.

VMWare Fusion may well be the simplest & best option

https://www.vmware.com/support/windows_to_mac/ for more

N

I may look into this. Do you know if the free trial is a fully functioning piece of software?

I may look into this. Do you know if the free trial is a fully functioning piece of software?

Hi

Yes, no limits AFAIK, 30 day free trial, its at V6.0 now which I suspect supports up to Windows 8.1, Over last 5yrs, Ive used V2.0 - V4.1 which is very good for WinXP so Ive not changed it.

Providing you have 4Gb or more should run well, I allocate 2Gb to XP as its not too greedy!

post back how you get on

N

Could someone please explain why you would want to buy a mac, with all the same hardware that a homebuilt pc has. Then install a different operating system, but pay roughly double the cost for the hardware because of the logo?

If you really wanted OSX so badly , you can install it on anything now as the architecture is identical to windows/intel.

Thanks

Jonathan