mini skid steers

Breezeblock

• Replies 136
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I recently got a Sherpa 100 mini loader, it's completely changed moving timber it's actually fun!! I can load it into a transit tipper on ramps so I can tow a chipper or stump grinder on a trailer. It is a skid steer so I just drive it carefully on formal lawns but with floatation tyres it's not a problem. I wouldn't be with out one now.

I was looking at the Avant website and the smallest articulated machine is 990 wide so it won't fit through a stupid English garden gate! A skid steer for domestic arb work would be a worry because of lawn damage, I think. Carrying ply boards around is a hassle and more weight.

http://avant.co.uk/wp-content/uploads/2012/09/Avant-Tecno-400-series-brochure.pdf

I just noticed that you can get a brilliant log grab to go on with forks!

I wonder what these things cost?

I was looking at the Avant website and the smallest articulated machine is 990 wide so it won't fit through a stupid English garden gate! A skid steer for domestic arb work would be a worry because of lawn damage, I think. Carrying ply boards around is a hassle and more weight.

http://avant.co.uk/wp-content/uploads/2012/09/Avant-Tecno-400-series-brochure.pdf

I just noticed that you can get a brilliant log grab to go on with forks!

I wonder what these things cost?

If you are wanting one for predominantly domestic work, you need the little skid steers, they can handle almost the same weights. The articulated ( especially the 600 ) are large machines in comparison, so are more suited to commercial work or large domestic/ schools etc.

The difference is the articulated machines are quick and can cover larger sites fast.

There's not many domestic sites I have used mine on ( mine was bought mainly as a yard machine) but I have used it many times on parks, church's, schools, grave yards and woodland. I did one job with it that paid a quarter of the machine off in one go and I still made a good wedge on top.

One more advantage with the skidsteer is they will fit in the back of your truck to get it and the chipper to site in one go where the artics will have to be trailered

Have a chat with Sarron he helped me on a job 2 weeks ago with my skid steer on. It surprised us at what a steep slope it could climb loaded up with wood. The only negative I found is that the muck fork and grapple isn't strong enough and I bent a few tines on uneven loads

Have a chat with Sarron he helped me on a job 2 weeks ago with my skid steer on. It surprised us at what a steep slope it could climb loaded up with wood. The only negative I found is that the muck fork and grapple isn't strong enough and I bent a few tines on uneven loads

What machine have you got?

Also look at the csf Multione website, couple of things I don't like about the a ants are the single offset boom, csf have ladder boom and avant have a rigid frame they don't swing.

GT 950

My girlfriends company bust the boom on their 600series avant lifting a stone, not helped by the offset lifting

The smaller machines-the 500series and below avantd will fit on a normal tipper no problem

I've subbed to a company with a 745 with forestry style grapple on a rotator with a winch too which was excellent