• Replies 118
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Any pics of them coming into leaf?

OK, you asked for it:

Alder (a lot of them not doing anything yet):

null_zps153551d1.jpg

Field maple (this was a surprise as it was a particularly weedy little whip that went in and it seems to be the only one that has come into leaf):

null_zps0a820677.jpg

Some of the wild seeded willow (think it's grey willow but might be cricket bat):

null_zps0294c5b4.jpg

Spindle (only one I could find in leaf):

null_zps57b3d9e1.jpg.html

Wild cherry - going great guns - they're all like this:

null_zps28cc2eca.jpg

Think this is crab apple:

null_zps3710fc24.jpg

Hazel all doing well, although leaves still tucked up in the buds:

null_zps7257ed6f.jpg

Common hawthorn, this is all thriving:

null_zps1b2ec867.jpg

Blackthorn, scarecely off the mark and this was about the most advanced I could find:

null_zpsbc121ce7.jpg

Hornbeam:

null_zpscaaa820f.jpg

As I mentioned, the oak and beech are still dormant but so are the big trees so not too worried. Aspen is doing nothing, which surprises me as I thought it was a pioneer plant

Was given some ash seedlings by a neighbour so have bunged those into the mix too. It is lovely seeing the little dead looking twigs that were delivered turning into live plants but I know what you mean, they're not rapid.

That said, I cut a different neighbour's osier willow down to a stump. By the end of the year, it was 12 feet tall and an inch thickness on some of the larger stems. I've planted a load of the twigs here and they're already looking good in places.

Got a power company coming next week to trim some trees which should result in some willow mulch

• 2 weeks later...

Turns out at least one of the ash seedlings was a sycamore, I think. Anyway, one of the beeches has finally made a start:

null_zps72fa79a6.jpg

I also noticed that the medlar we planted this winter is producing fruit, which we weren't expecting for another few years...

null_zps2a1523d2.jpg