Isuzu nkr engine problems :(!

Quercus-90

if its down on one cylinder caused by one thing or another i bought one of them digital/laser temp guns had mine years as the v8 diesels were so noisy i could,nt tel what cylinder was down so used this tool to find the coolest exhust port then go further into it but as already suggested get it plugged into the computer and see what comes up erase the fault codes take it for a run then plug it back in again or the garage may take it on a live run plugged in to see whats going on under the bonnet anyway etc good luck hope it gets sorted very quickly

ps i have a v6 passat diesel that was smoking no power etc and the fault was the turbo actuator diaphram split thus no boost so just check its not got a split/loose vacume pipe only trying to help etc

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

White smoke is normally water in the fuel.

white smoke is generally over fuelling.

:lol:

and yet we can diagnose from the colour of the exhaust

That was the old school way yes; before turbos, intercoolers, hot and cold egr, de-nox catalysts, DPF's, common rail or eui direct injection. Furthermore it mostly applied to cast iron blocks with the occasional alloy head; no wet liners to be seen; the odd tractor excepted.

Old school exhaust diagnosis was:

BLUE SMOKE from exhaust - Causes: Engine is burning engine oil, injection timing is incorrectly set.

BLACK SMOKE from exhaust - Causes: Too much fuel is being delivered to the engine or the fuel that is being delivered is not correctly atomised, Exhaust Gas Reciculation (EGR) system has failed or is incorrectly set of has become clogged with soot. Insufficient air. Old Perkins Prima was a classic; black puff at startup followed by clean due to low pressure in inj. system when cold cranking.

WHITE SMOKE from exhaust - Causes: If the ambient temperature is low, steam which is normal and usually clears, if the smoke never clears, water is entering the engine (cylinder head, head gasket, liner problem). Quenched combustion.

GREY SMOKE from exhaust - Causes: Injection timing is incorrectly set, fuel is not being atomised correctly, something other than diesel has been added to the the fuel tank.

ps i have a v6 passat diesel

How do you find the VAG 2.5 V6 TDI? Have fancied one for a while; had saab 3.0 tid v6 which was glorious - when it worked :sneaky2:

Ok so just incase anyone else comes across this problem, I fairly confident it's the MAF sensor.

Took her for a drive with it disconnected and no smoke or rough running, still underpowered but is imagine that's because the ecu is taking a default reeding for boost etc as the MAF is unplugged.

Sent using Arbtalk Mobile App

Ok so just incase anyone else comes across this problem, I fairly confident it's the MAF sensor.

Took her for a drive with it disconnected and no smoke or rough running, still underpowered but is imagine that's because the ecu is taking a default reeding for boost etc as the MAF is unplugged.

Be jolly careful if it's the hot film/wire type; use brake cleaner only as it leaves no residue...

Thanks for all the suggestions everyone, going to delve draper today.

Will try cleaning the maf sensor, also will check vacuum hoses incase leaking......

Should also check it's not head gasket I guess :/!

when the egr valve cracked on mine we tested for the head gasket and the tester gave a reading to say it had gone after stripping it apart we then found the cracked egr so loads of work for nothing

Be jolly careful if it's the hot film/wire type; use brake cleaner only as it leaves no residue...

Yeah I'll clean in off with carb cleaner got a few cans kicking about!

But fairly sure the sensor is breaking down..... Had a light on the dash when went into a couple of big dips.