MEWP Usage

David Humphries

• Replies 225
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

IN my opinion, FWIW, the main reason many don't/won't use MEWPS is often down to personal attitude and a little bit of "old dog, new tricks" syndrome, if I might be so rude but I would/did include myself in this, i.e. we joined the 'tree climbing industry' to do just that...CLIMB TREES.

In my experience, those back in 2005/6 who anticipated a ban on tree climbing because of the Work at Height (W@H) Regs and the HSE's "want", or seeming "want", and purchased a MEWP to be ahead of the game, so to speak, would not go back, only forwards, i.e. bigger or more MEWPs. Often tho these are used in combination with tree climbing and give options and versatility (plus I know of a few who do 'other' works, i.e. window installations / roof / chimney stack repairs partic. after storms, and so earn additional income...these contractors are not to be confused with the travelling fraternity!)

There is also the whole H&S and compliance thing as well and, inevitably, those who own/hire MEWPs will be more compliant, by default. (I can reel off why, i.e. preventative 'collective' measures / hieracrhcy of access / avoid-prevent-minimise, and not to mention the fatigue etc. avoidance issues, but I'll resist.)

Essentially tho the MEWP soon becomes a very, very useful tool in your 'box'...admittedly tho an expensive one whihc needs regular maintenance, dependent on how you hire / purchase it, and it does benefit if you secure, for instance, a Highway Authority contract where it can be justified and often put to very good use.

Please 'keep an open mind' and perhaps we still can learn new tricks :thumbup:

Take care out there..

Paul

Please 'keep an open mind' and perhaps we still can learn new tricks :thumbup:

Take care out there..

Paul

Not that this really needs me to say so, but I feel this is a very well thought out & delivered post from Paul.

Someone whos done the air miles & sees the industry through experience within it & the benefit of having access to all the diferent user groups across it. Be that from small privately owned firms, large national firms, local authorities, consultancies, trainers & the health & safety executive.

A good enough reason to listen to & support our industries representives :thumbup1:

Right, thats quite enough of the posterior licking, mines a pint of ale please Paul :thumbup:

Mewps have their place without doubt, but I would not like to see them used matter of factly.

My mewp very rarely gets used by myself, probably twice a yearish and then it only gets used for awkward or dodgy trees or even "cloud pruning" Hawthorn hedges and tree lines :001_rolleyes: which is the new "architect" thing to justify their fees. This type of work would be virtually impossible without a mewp.

I personally think that the more we enforce mewp useage, then obviously the more the accident rate will go up and more regulations will be unnecessarily applied.

Dismantling a tree on a mewp is or can be extremely hazardous. Courses always take place on the Ideal tree with access 360 degrees whereas most times, access is right under the tree in one position placing the mewp very close or within the danger zone, very rarely do you get the perfect tree or storm damaged tree.

I,ve done hundreds of hours in my mewp taking down some very awkward stuff and even with that experience I,ve had quite a few scarey moments. Sometimes you just have to throw the rule book out the basket and minimise the risk in the most effective way possible. Those ways are learnt through experience and not on a course

Mewps have their place without doubt, but I would not like to see them used matter of factly.

I,ve done hundreds of hours in my mewp taking down some very awkward stuff and even with that experience I,ve had quite a few scarey moments. Sometimes you just have to throw the rule book out the basket and minimise the risk in the most effective way possible. Those ways are learnt through experience and not on a course

..n that's called 'industry competence', an invaluable risk control measure, true fashion!

Cheers Dean.

Paul

PS I fully recognise that often the only position you can place a MEWP is within the dedicated 'drop-zone' and hence "no can do", but in many instances they can be accomodated.

• 1 year later...

something a bit different this morning, the lanyard on this flag staff required fixing to get the flag back up.

Had to track the mewp in a fair distance and the guys said it was a "bit windy up top", didn't take too long and moved swiftly on to a proper tree job.

IMG_1871.JPG.7751aa80c8dd10817a0217ac83abafd8.JPG

IMG_1870.jpg.db6018c98d1387c44eac502034349b31.jpg

IMG_1884.jpg.88b9d55ad448398826a4f2e2d641c152.jpg

IMG_1856.jpg.594f4788b98abeca192623b2d346de9b.jpg

11.jpg.913b07781621efc3cde51a62c240ba7f.jpg

3.jpg.d62be0e1f02a7da310611f189bc46ac7.jpg

IMG_1845.jpg.38b6346b0f1cfebd9ada62906ea4f6da.jpg

IMG_1842.jpg.1086b61ff59e85b117ebf23772ca487f.jpg

IMG_1834.JPG.e299fe15d7fd9ca377123caadc6ceb24.JPG

IMG_1829.JPG.198d73bd89fb22eb549fcf00a177a7e5.JPG

IMG_1828.JPG.83f69ba7295e239be947563c089b6e31.JPG