laski /greenmech stumpgrinder

kimtree

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

its got a multi tip cutting wheel,much better than the original one which kept shearing pocket bolts if it hit a rock or metal,also cuts better.ive had to modifie a few things like changing from a 2 to a 3 drive pulley and a new guard,next is a better screen,one made from lexan,it does like to leak oil and the diff locks can come unscrewed which caused the bloody thing to nearly fall off the loading ramps once,now i check them prior to loading/unloading,apart from these problems its a good unit however its the only one ive used apart from one back in england 20 years ago a handle bar machine that had the cutting head nearest the operator cant remember the name

Sounds terrible! I couldn't be dealing with something that need so many mods and I couldn't rely on those sort of checks being made in the yard before use. If the Laski is better than the Vermeer, the Vermeer must be a real dog!

All stump grinders fall apart over time, its the nature of the job.

My reasons for rating the laski over the vermeer (252) are better swing out controls, more stable base unit, bigger wheels and tyres, better engine guard, and better build quality.

Thanks Mr E, overview of someone whose used the machines always useful and good guidance.

So basically I can expect the Vermeer and the Carlton to have all of those described problems as well, even more so the Vermeer as its worse build quality than the Greenmech?

Sorry, dont misunderstand me, I think the quality of the laski was mediocre - it just had better features than the Vermeer.

My comment on all grinders is that they all get a really hard life, and even the best of them will have bits falling off in time. A good owner operator will keep his machine in good condition, regularly checking nuts and bolts, greasing where needed, and keeping the belts in correct tension. But you get a numpty who does'nt care, and the machine will be hanging in no time.

i wont get another one [laski] maybe a carlton remote operated machine would be a better bet.even with the laski screen tons of dirt and dust gets over,even had a few rocks get over and hit my helmet.i can definatly see the advantage of remote control now!gets you out of the danger zone

a few reasons i bought the laski

the screen doesnt give you a crook neck

its built like a bricks**thouse

its a stable work platform

it was cheap!

As it turns out with all mods done so far its still 6000 aus cheaper than vermeer

Understood, thanks alot. Well noted on the maintenance and the feedback suggests that I should avoid the Greenmech due to issues with build quality.

Have you considered why the mods were done? It was found that three belts were better than two to handle the torque put out by the long stroke/high compression engine. More belts meant different guard and the swing out work station does allow the operator a clear view of the work, but a clear view does mean the damage can occur to the screen. What would you prefer - a good view of the engine or the stool? I can see good and bad in all designs, but I try to look with an open mind and view the overall deal.

Have you considered why the mods were done? It was found that three belts were better than two to handle the torque put out by the long stroke/high compression engine. More belts meant different guard and the swing out work station does allow the operator a clear view of the work, but a clear view does mean the damage can occur to the screen. What would you prefer - a good view of the engine or the stool? I can see good and bad in all designs, but I try to look with an open mind and view the overall deal.

Sorry, hadn't intended any upset, but it was actually being open minded that made me ask for feedback! That feedback came as the machine being 'mediocre quality' and current user(s) who wouldn't get another one. Anyway, no beef, just asked for feedback and got it!

Not so much stump grinding but on you tube i see another method.

They blew the fooker out with dynamite a company near me been going 50 odd years had a licence for that.

But i think carlton is ok but so much room for improovment needs anti vibration for the user exhaust directed away better need a thin version to fit through all gates.

cant speak about vermeer but they are massive machines need a diet. powerful tho.