water wet not sap wet

sandy2210

I have use of a large barn in which i have split, and by now seasoned wood stored for last 2 years but due to leaks in the roof there is a fair amount which is now "water wet" as opposed to "sap wet" and i was wondering if they are both the same or will the water wet ones be less damaging to my new chimney liner

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

they are sitting on pallets, still trying to persuade the owners to get it re-roofed as it has their firewood in it as well , its an old rounded roofed duch barn a bit to high and dangerous to tackle on my own so will get a tarp and put it over the worst bits meantime,

Moisture is moisture.

Pointless burning wet logs..

I don't agree, seasoned logs that have become wet will dry very quickly IMO. We season our logs outside only bringing it once split. Unless it has been sat on the floor it is dry pretty quick, although I have no moisture meter..

While I agree it is not recommended to burn wet logs. I ran out of wood over christmas and had to resort to split some gnarly old ash rings that had been sat on the floor for two years, it was sopping. Obviously it is less efficient but it burnt really well at a much better speed in my burner.. :001_smile: Didn't some one on her have a customer who used to put their dried logs in the pond?

I guess the OP if questioning if the water from seasoned wet logs will cause the damage to the chimney liner which as I understand is caused by steam dissolving out flammable, acidic tars.

I don't know the answer.. but my guess is that it will be less damaging as the steam will be on the outside so not passing through the wood as much as in unseasoned wood. I could be wrong however and my liner could fall apart.

I don't agree, seasoned logs that have become wet will dry very quickly IMO. We season our logs outside only bringing it once split. Unless it has been sat on the floor it is dry pretty quick, although I have no moisture meter..

While I agree it is not recommended to burn wet logs. I ran out of wood over christmas and had to resort to split some gnarly old ash rings that had been sat on the floor for two years, it was sopping. Obviously it is less efficient but it burnt really well at a much better speed in my burner.. :001_smile: Didn't some one on her have a customer who used to put their dried logs in the pond?

I guess the OP if questioning if the water from seasoned wet logs will cause the damage to the chimney liner which as I understand is caused by steam dissolving out flammable, acidic tars.

I don't know the answer.. but my guess is that it will be less damaging as the steam will be on the outside so not passing through the wood as much as in unseasoned wood. I could be wrong however and my liner could fall apart.

Its not about steam, all logs produce creosote gas, this will normal be burnt in the fire or pass up the flue and out, but when you burn wet wood the fire achieves a lower temperature, this leads to more creosote going up the flue and a lower flue temperature which means more of the gasses condense on the inside of the flue, this leads to corrosion and tar build up and posable flue fire.

This is my understanding any way :001_smile:

Its not about steam, all logs produce creosote gas, this will normal be burnt in the fire or pass up the flue and out, but when you burn wet wood the fire achieves a lower temperature, this leads to more creosote going up the flue and a lower flue temperature which means more of the gasses condense on the inside of the flue, this leads to corrosion and tar build up and posable flue fire.

This is my understanding any way :001_smile:

thanks guys don't think i will risk burning them until they have dried out again

just posted a pic of the barn on the show us your log-store thread and you will see how high and awkward to repair the tin is very thin and not easy to put roof ladder or crawler boards onto