The Mower Bench

GardenKit

Thanks Barry I will look at it today and see what I can see. I presume this is s problem on the drive side of the mower?

A customer gave me the mower a year or so after I started doing their garden as he didn't want to do it ever again as he's 85!

Correct. Side cover off, cylinder drive belt guard off, then belt and pulley, to get access to roller pulley. Remove pulley by undoing 19mm nut in centre (hold pulley with punch or similar through one of the holes) Note which way round the pulley was for reinstatement.

Now you can tighten, or remove the bearing housing. The pinion shaft can be removed once the housing is off.

Spoon, or pump, 1/2 cup of grease into the ring gear before reinstalling the pinion.

Your problem is almost certainly a worn pinion. You will find the teeth well worn which prevents a good mesh with the ring gear, this is very common.

The early models used the triangular bearing plate for the pinion, but it was liable to go out of line due to side plate distortion (the panel it is screwed to) so a modified bearing plate was introduced which spreads the load lower down the side plate keeping everything in line, minimising wear on the pinion.

It may be worth upgrading the support, but its worth checking first that the existing one is tight. They do come loose and that also puts the pinion out of line.

I hate the mowers, so poorly built.

[ATTACH]202128[/ATTACH] early mount

[ATTACH]202129[/ATTACH] pinion

[ATTACH]202130[/ATTACH] later mount

It's the newer plate and it was loose pinion looks fine and quite a lot of nuts were not tight!

Anyway all back together now and working fine!

Thanks all for the help

• 1 month later...

Most mowers we see through the workshop are well used, and well abused. They are usually filthy on top as well as beneath. Just a few owners keep them clean, but we have never seen one as clean as this before.

This 2007 Stiga Pro 50 mulcher was traded in today against a new one. It has been used weekly in a fair size garden for 9 years, but the owner cleans it completely after every use. He does all his own maintenance and even has a special 'cleaning bench' in the corner of his garden.

He traded it in because of a small carburation issue which should be easily fixed.

Now to find a buyer!

20160506_174609.jpg.93194b10adfc09d3ae0188e352ff1447.jpg

Most mowers we see through the workshop are well used, and well abused. They are usually filthy on top as well as beneath. Just a few owners keep them clean, but we have never seen one as clean as this before.

This 2007 Stiga Pro 50 mulcher was traded in today against a new one. It has been used weekly in a fair size garden for 9 years, but the owner cleans it completely after every use. He does all his own maintenance and even has a special 'cleaning bench' in the corner of his garden.

He traded it in because of a small carburation issue which should be easily fixed.

Now to find a buyer!

[ATTACH]204186[/ATTACH]

How much do you want for it?

Not a mower and not a chainsaw so picked this thread at random.

Went to start my 4 stroke Stihl brush cutter yesterday, it fired, revved up and then died. Thought I had flooded it so cleaned the spark plug etc, still no joy. Anyway later when I picked it up I noticed it leaking petrol, turns out I hadn't screwed the cap on tight enough. Have i drawn air into the system or something? Still couldn't get it started when I screwed the cap tight. Thanks