The Mower Bench

GardenKit

Its damn difficult holding them camera in my teeth, operating the compressor and talking at the same time Rich.

At least my video is not upside down:001_rolleyes:

:lol::lol::lol::lol:

Should get the missis to be your camera women..... Or would that just take too many takes :laugh1:

Anyway top vid there Barrie. :thumbup1:

If any of you have a Hayter Harrier 41, 48, or 56 with a variable speed transmission that does not change speeds, then this is the problem.

The variator central pulley sheaves should be free to slide up and down the central splines, but they invariably do not slide.

Its strange really because both the internal and external splines are made of nylon so they do not rust.

But the problem with nylon is that it 'grows' and seizes up.

This is a very common problem on Hayter mowers and has been since this variator was introduce 14 years ago. Hayter have never done anything to rectify the problem.

P1000975.jpg.a3c7140b1561821ef86b4dd41ed6f5c3.jpg

Here it is, sorry for the quality, i did it quickly because I wanted my tea.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t25NpgyGs2w]The Briggs valve spring compressor - YouTube[/ame]

That's really helpful barrie.the notch on the cap i remember from the last briggs valve fumbling job. The tecumseh caps had no notch so will need to mark them and follow your method. I'd like to see how you remove them too Some time- if you're not too busy with the BAFTAs:)

Much much appreciated.

Sent from my GT-N7000 using Arbtalk mobile app

Bit of a pathetic question compared to the other info on this thread so sorry about that:blushing:

I am trying to replace the throwplate on my harrier 48. I am really struggling to remove the bolts that are on the underside (hopefully shown on attached picture). I can't get a socket on to the bolts, would this be because the plastic has worn and closed the gap up? Any ideas on a way I can get these undone, I have tried to hammer the socket on but it didn't work (maybe should have tried slightly harder but was scared about breaking something) :lol:

image.jpg.a6a7fe39ff854adf0e5dd0aa564e6056.jpg