The Mower Bench

GardenKit

Rubbish design for such a expensive mower ,front wheel adjuster on a Honda pro ,will weld it up and keep it for spare has me Local Dealer did me a deal on a new one for £10 :001_smile:

[ATTACH]201723[/ATTACH]

Ste

"A rubbish design " I am not putting forward a contradiction to your comment in this post, I would just like to put a idea on the table.

There is another possibility maybe. The wheels on any mower are open to being thumped regardless of how careful you or anyone else is. The pivot bracket you have to replace may be showing the classic "metal fatigue" with a eccentric loaded mounting. Early in the mowers life ??..maybe... that could be why you are not so chuffed . All fair reasoning..But.. another way of looking at this could be .

The design of the wheel bracket /adjuster is the weakest link ..On Propose !! It may bend ..it may brake..but should save the deck mounting from taking the breakage, thus the large and expensive frame of the mower ..hopefully stays in tact and a easy/cheep to replace component is your end result. Its one way to design a mower...not the only way of corse.:001_smile:

Being a one man band I treat my mowers carefully and only use the Pro on big lawns ,I have always said its to Heavy .

Also with the increase of Concrete imprinted driveways I am constantly lifting back Roller of the Ground has not to mark driveways, the New method of laying Imprinted concrete does not have the Colour in the Concrete itself due to contamination of next load so they Dust colour over needless to say there are some Driveways that Mark easily ,even the High heels of a woman with repetitive parking in same place leaves marks lol .

It Should be better .

Ste

Edited by IVECOKID

Being a one man band I treat my mowers carefully and only use the Pro on big lawns ,I have always said its to Heavy .

Also with the increase of Concrete imprinted driveways I am constantly lifting back Roller of the Ground has not to mark driveways, the New method of laying Imprinted concrete does not have the Colour in the Concrete itself due to contamination of next load so they Dust colour over needless to say there are some Driveways that Mark easily ,even the High heels of a woman with repetitive parking in same place leaves marks lol .

It Should be better .

Ste

I don't/didn't sugest a lack of care by your good self :001_smile:...merely that the bracket /adjuster is the weakest link...possibly by design and maybe a good thing. From carrying the weight of the mower plus shock /jolting from usage along with moving it about as you described ,better it takes the brunt of the w & tare maybe. No argument from me that things should be made properly ,just that sometimes a week link is a useful thing ...just like a shear bolt has its place .

I don't/didn't sugest a lack of care by your good self :001_smile:...merely that the bracket /adjuster is the weakest link...possibly by design and maybe a good thing. From carrying the weight of the mower plus shock /jolting from usage along with moving it about as you described ,better it takes the brunt of the w & tare maybe. No argument from me that things should be made properly ,just that sometimes a week link is a useful thing ...just like a shear bolt has its place .

Totally agree :thumbup:

Ste

Hi all I've got a qualcast 35s that I use for scarifying small lawns.

Git it up and running again thanks to help on here. However a new problem in that the transmission/something in the roller is clicking and locking the roller up!

Does anyone know where I can find a workshop manual before I rip it to pieces! Many thanks Richard

Hi all I've got a qualcast 35s that I use for scarifying small lawns.

Git it up and running again thanks to help on here. However a new problem in that the transmission/something in the roller is clicking and locking the roller up!

Does anyone know where I can find a workshop manual before I rip it to pieces! Many thanks Richard

single roller or twin ? check for play in the roller bearings , drive gear worn ect , 66, 141 , 9 are bad for wearing , older models use a plastic bush in the drum , later models have bearings on the side of the machine , which do you have ?

roller.gif.f7ff46922e89007bbd3fbb378bd3670f.gif

Edited by njm
info

single roller or twin ? check for play in the roller bearings , drive gear worn ect , 66, 141 , 9 are bad for wearing , older models use a plastic bush in the drum , later models have bearings on the side of the machine , which do you have ?

Thanks for getting back to me. It's the single roller. Thanks for the tips. Still searching online for a manual😁

Thanks for getting back to me. It's the single roller. Thanks for the tips. Still searching online for a manual😁

Your problem is almost certainly a worn pinion. You will find the teeth well worn which prevents a good mesh with the ring gear, this is very common.

The early models used the triangular bearing plate for the pinion, but it was liable to go out of line due to side plate distortion (the panel it is screwed to) so a modified bearing plate was introduced which spreads the load lower down the side plate keeping everything in line, minimising wear on the pinion.

It may be worth upgrading the support, but its worth checking first that the existing one is tight. They do come loose and that also puts the pinion out of line.

I hate the mowers, so poorly built.

59767096c6832_trianglebearing.jpg.27d078043119585db887766fe8543952.jpg early mount

pinion.jpg.510c0d0f6d7ccadd9e504c77343b54a4.jpg pinion

59767096ca366_pinionplate.png.0cab011b1207eebe0718b5cf8e61e466.png later mount

Your problem is almost certainly a worn pinion. You will find the teeth well worn which prevents a good mesh with the ring gear, this is very common.

The early models used the triangular bearing plate for the pinion, but it was liable to go out of line due to side plate distortion (the panel it is screwed to) so a modified bearing plate was introduced which spreads the load lower down the side plate keeping everything in line, minimising wear on the pinion.

It may be worth upgrading the support, but its worth checking first that the existing one is tight. They do come loose and that also puts the pinion out of line.

I hate the mowers, so poorly built.

[ATTACH]202128[/ATTACH] early mount

[ATTACH]202129[/ATTACH] pinion

[ATTACH]202130[/ATTACH] later mount

Thanks Barry I will look at it today and see what I can see. I presume this is s problem on the drive side of the mower?

A customer gave me the mower a year or so after I started doing their garden as he didn't want to do it ever again as he's 85!