Church grounds

Luckyleaf

Whilst the small local churches will plead poverty, and rightly so, the big boys back at head office are sitting pretty. If the wee churches look poor they get more sympathy (offers of free work - "Bless you my son") and more money into the coffers. But when push comes to shove the money appears from on high (excuse the pun) and the wee church property gets looked after.

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ok anyone else do Arb work for the local church ? The question is do you

1 charge full rate for the works

2 formulate a discounted rate

3 do it for free 😱

What would you do for the man above !

for the man above the same rate if the bible had any truth in it it would be a pamphlet

Church near me just paid quarter of a million for a new roof. Charge regular rate. Deliberately overcharging sets you up for a fall IMO

Tbh, a lot of this money has to come from fund-raising, for the upkeep of the church building. National lottery funding, historic Buildings TRust amongst others. The churchyard is the responsibility of PCC, and funding has to be found from the PCC budget, which is not large. "Gifts" from parish councils help, but most churchyard work is expected to be voluntary, ie mowing and tidying. Tree work is expensive, and the Diocese will help out if asked. It's a lot of red tape, and some PCCs seem unaware it is there, but it will and does in every case I've put forward.

Edited by Andy Collins

Whilst what has been said here about Churches having lots of money, small Churches being funded from above may well be true of Anglican and Catholic Churches, the same is not true of other denominations, Baptist, etc who may have no central organisation let alone funds

I know of only 2 such chapels, one baptist and one Methodist. They both do everything inhouse, they know someone who knows someone who will do it for a slice of cake and a cup of tea. But also bear in mind, from what I've seen, the building (chapels) in general are much smaller, they are not centuries old, most built from around Victorian times, and do not have large spreading churchyards to maintain! but very compact affairs. Also, many of the chapels have now been closed and sold off for house conversions, raising revenue for maintenance on those chapels left. I have a very limited view of chapel, but in the cases I have seen the above is correct.

Done a job back a few months for our local church totalling near 2k why would even consider doing it for free, I live local to the church got married there family help them out with fund raising etc but it didn't stop them getting two other quotes, mine was the cheapest. I did give them a free xmas tree tho. :)