Meindl Airstream Boots-dangerous?!

Tom Mellish

I can believe some people think the boot is the cause of the danger! Any slippery surface is just that, slippery.

For the record, I am on my third pair of these boots. Each pair lasting about 2 years. I will get another pair.

I am a bit of a daredevil though and like taking my life in my own hands by wearing them and walking about and stuff!

• Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 11 months later...
Despite the 'hardness' of them, my main grip with Vibram soles is that they wear out after a year for me. Admittedly I am on concrete much of the time.

That said, I've yet to find a more comfortable safety boot. £180 a year is small change for comfortable feet every day.

Perhaps try some of the TimberCats that HoneyBros are supposed to be getting in? Airstreams in yellow with retractable studs. So long as the studs are tungsten, they should provide both much better grip and much better sole life when used on suitable surfaces.

The Timber cats are awesome! I've been using a pair for 3 months. took at least 2 weeks to wear in, as the inside heal seems really hard. the memory foam fits well the same as the airstream but i did squash the foam a little when i took of the left boot and stood on the the back end of it. the result is its still (after 2 weeks) a little misshapen and slightly affects the fit. its gradually getting better with use.

Soles-are not vibram but something else which i can't read believe it or not! they are grippy enough without the spikes but I've only had them for 3 months so far.

The spikes- 6 spikes twist out of the sole with an easy action. BRILLIANT. quick and easy and haven't had them get stuck, stiff or blocked, even in the snow and ice (I'm climbing in Norway)

On pruning- the spikes are great on thicker barked trees but perhaps a little aggressive on smooth barked trees with a few scratches here and there, best keep them tucked away if you've got a fussy client. however, when its wet and slippery its great to break out the spikes for added traction :-)

Price- astronomical. i paid NOK 3500, they are cheaper in the UK(about £300?) but i couldn't wait for people to order them in and send them over.

Yellow colour has stayed bright so far, leather is starting to grey as with the streams.

Don't jump on the chipper to turn the shoot when you have the spikes out :-/ they leave their mark!

Cold- i tend to get cold feet with most boots but then again it is -10 here at the moment.

Overall a very good boot (if a little painful to start with the price and the rock hard heel) but i am definitely satisfied and the novelty of the spikes is ongoing.

Definitely would buy another pair.

:thumbup::thumbup::thumbup:

• 3 years later...
On 24/01/2014 at 18:41, Old Mill Tree Care said:

Definitely dangerous.

Today whilst wearing mine:

A telehandler got stuck in the mud.

A big tree got hung up.

The telehandler blew a tyre.

My 395xp went 'pop'!

Dangerous stuff!

Hahaha!