Insurance rise caused by staff

jojam

Jist wondered what you all thought about this.we have one employee who was banned for drink driving last year.he got nine months with rehab.the week before he was banned we took delivery of a new small fiat van for his use,which was leased so couldn't back out.So as you can see the van was not goin to be needed now.Anyway when he gets back on the road in june we'll have to pay an extra 600 quid to have him on it with his conviction.He is 22 so it's quite steep anyway.We took some advice and suggested to him he pay the EXTRA cost out of his wages weekly.The response was mixed.Are we doin the right thing?bearing in mind we've put him up in lodging's aswell since the ban.We also have a pick up which we'll have to insure him for.

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

he's been stayin in our new caravan since september an gettin meals with us in the house.jist worked out the extra electric for the caravan over the winter it's more than his insurance.there's a bit of a lack of decent labour up here tho.But we've already spent a fair bit on training including his tailer test.The joys of being an employer i suppose!

he's been stayin in our new caravan since september an gettin meals with us in the house.jist worked out the extra electric for the caravan over the winter it's more than his insurance.there's a bit of a lack of decent labour up here tho.But we've already spent a fair bit on training including his tailer test.The joys of being an employer i suppose!

I think your in danger of being a "door mat".

Obviously I don't know all the in's and out's of the situation, but it sounds like he could be taking the urine :thumbdown:

He's got the option if he doesn't pay the extra he can run his own car an get mileage as he did before.But still left with a lesaed van costin us 200 quid a month!He a good versatile worker but monday mornings have been a bit slow lately.I know he not happy about paying the extra coz his car insurance gone up too but at the end of the day he did the crime so he'll have to do the time!

Our employment contracts clear state that we require a driving license, if we lose it for any reason then we lose out job, its the same for the lads and managers, (last year one of our managers was let go for drink driving) as for training we have to paid back any training, we have taken. 100% pay back within one year of the training. 50% after one year and its all free after two years which seems fair.

You can only do so much for some people !!!

If he is a decent worker and better than most(you say its hard to get staff) then I would look at what the best or cheapest option is for your business.

It seems that you help him out a lot already and unfortunately imo people who get helped out seem to want more and more help and give nothing back.

If you really need him come to some compromise and get a contract written up if you dont then bin him and get someone better who wont take the piss.

If he's a valued worker Meep's payback idea looks good: perhaps you could offer to pay say 1/3rd the extra in year 1, 2/3rds in year 2 etc. but get it in writing. I'd say the accommodation and feeding is a separate issue; we all need a roof over our heads and tucker in our bellies regardless of the state of our driving licence. To ensure he remains a good worker - if such an idea was taken up - you'd need to agree also on regular appraisal to keep his side of the deal in line. All in writing.