Tree surgeon or not

nottsarb

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Will who are you aiming this at? I have a very good idea who it is. But the point i like to get across is i have been doing this for only seven years. I ok at climbing. No employer has every complained about my skills and my knowledge. Also i have lots of CS tickets but i dont class my self as a tree surgeon. I class my self as a tree climber. If that makes sense.

I don't have an academic qualification in arb, just my practical tickets, and I count myself a tree surgeon. I gain knowledge from reading and working with people more experienced than myself.

Perhaps if I had gone to college and achieved an HND in Arb I may call myself an Arborist.

As it stands at the moment I don't think my lack of academic qualification makes me worth less at my job.

Same here.

Will who are you aiming this at? I have a very good idea who it is. But the point i like to get across is i have been doing this for only seven years. I ok at climbing. No employer has every complained about my skills and my knowledge. Also i have lots of CS tickets but i dont class my self as a tree surgeon. I class my self as a tree climber. If that makes sense.

Carl this isn't aimed at any one it's based on a conversation I had with a guy last week who claimed to be a tree surgeon yet he didn't have a qualification to his name I just ask people's opinions.

Sent using Arbtalk Mobile App

So me being a brash dragging bitch is not too up myself then ? :biggrin:

With an attitude like that you'll never get to the top of the tree in your profession :lol:

It's tree surgery not rocket surgery, I think if they have a saw and cut trees they fulfil the criteria for the job. Whether they are any good at it or not is a matter of conjecture. That's my opinion which I give freely (and often, sometimes whether it's wanted or not :D)

I'm a bit torn on this one...I would agree having qualifications, well doing courses to gain qualifications can defiantly help with the technical, practical and theory side of the job....I have the standard Cs tickets, and like to think I can do the job to a good standard, climb, prune, dismantle ect and do all this safely...iv never had any complaints from any of my bosses...and feel like I'm progressing everyday...but I think, you do have to have a little something to be able to do our job or be in our trade, iv gained knowledge from working with great climbers, talking to guys on here about techniques ect...and there no qualifications for what iv learnt just through good experiences

On the flip side to this, I have worked with guys, who must of found the qualifications at the bottom of a cereal box, I have even refused to work with one guy because although he had his aerial rescue, he was one of the slowest and worst climbers I have ever come across, and for the reason of not feeling happy he was competent to rescue me I refused to work with the lad, showing me that quals are not everything

they way I look at it, a tree surgeon is someone who cuts trees, be it well or badly...the public perception is pretty much just this...they don't know what NPTC is (and the majority don't particularly care). I have my City and Guilds in Arboriculture...nobody has ever asked to see it (and I have never needed it to get work). I also have all my NPTC units (although some are up for refresher). People do ask to see these, but only Local Authorities and other such agencies. The way to view this, is do whatever qualifications you want to do, its all about you at the end of the day. Plenty of firms out there with no tickets, or bosses with tickets employing un-ticketed labour on the ground...they will just get on with earning a days money...no matter what better qualified, insured and skilled companies think of them. :001_smile: