First helmet cam vid

RC0

Just wondering do most you guys rope branches up even with clear drop zones thats alot of extra work ?.

Overall enjoyed watching get more films lol im new to spiking and the film showed how before harder to reach parts of the tree become easy with spikes :heeeelllllooooo:

I use a slip knot for lowering branches i do like your knots. When you have a straight piece of trunk what hitch was you using to secure it with on the standing trunk you was attached to i did not pay attention to that bit. i use a timber hitch on the bit being lowered its ok.

• Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The reason for roping everything is its more effcient/quicker in some instances, easier for ground crew, more controlled, and no damage to the lawn, shrubs or fence underneath. I did see that Reg knocked a few smaller pieces out without rope though.

I attach everything like Reg, Although not quite as fluidly! I put a half hitch then throw the biner round and attach it back to the line its more secure especially on smooth barked trees like Euc.

I believe he was using the same attachment on the big trunk pieces, occasionally i'll put 2 half hitches in before attahcing the krab there by having 3 choking holds for extra security.

And a Timber Hitch for connecting the pulley.

Although i'm sure Reg will correct me if i'm wrong.

Really nice work and vid Reg, super smooth as always ;)

So its the timber hitch attached to a pully on the standing trunk to lower the cut off pieces.

was that with a grcs to lower it.

I must admit i love to free fell as much as i can customers are never worried about the lawn but we always put a brash pile and land them on it.

So do you also use a timer hitch when roping a piece of trunk to be felled and held.

Oh yeah thats my new machiene my first chipper wat du ya think

Why would anyone waste time roping something that could be dropped?

This point is quite significant.

Personally I’m looking to bring the sections down as large as is practicable for the guys to deal with. If I can free-fall, then in most cases I will. However, if for instance the branches are going to shatter into lots of little bits on impact for whatever reason, which then takes longer to clean up, then I’ll tie them off. Also, I try to employ as little cutting and climbing in the tree as what I can get away with, which again influences whether to freefall or tie-off.

Even when we’re understaffed on the ground I’d sooner let a half dozen big ones go and then get down to help-out as opposed to cutting of lots of little bits to allow the guys can keep up. But that’s just my preference – for better or worse.

On this particular job, freefalling just wasn’t an option. The client was a retired scientist and his garden was now his passion, so the job was priced for absolute minimum impact.

Also, Treework is very competitive in our area so these jobs have to be meticulously planned and executed to keep us within budget; even to the point where I have to consider the amount and distribution of sawdust that drifts out of the tree into the adjacent gardens where we’re working, cleaning it up all puts time on the job. On that Euc I used about half a tank in the 200T and a little less in the Husky, so to me a good indication that my energy had been well managed. Minimum effort, maximum return, that’s our mind-set.

There’re a lot of Panic-Climbers out there who think like “just get it down and we’ll worry about it afterwards!” What generally follow’s is lots of wasted effort both up the tree and on the floor due to this short sighted approach to the job.

Thankfully, I get to work with like-minded individuals who look at the job as a whole and have the confidence and sense to approach it in that manner. We take down some real awkward trees but waste absolutely nothing in the process. That’s why we are busy all year round and don’t have too many rough days. Just where Im at though, each to their own!