Spuds Porting and Tuning Thread

spudulike

Matty, the aluminium is bruised, my recommendation would be to grind it flat and not open the ports to get rid of the damage!

Cool your the man who's seen it up close ! I just was not sure if you remembered it.

I don't want to waste your time sending it to you and it's scrap !

Keep trying to open up masterminds thread on the 562 to see exactly what he has removed but the pics won't show.

Cool your the man who's seen it up close ! I just was not sure if you remembered it.

I don't want to waste your time sending it to you and it's scrap !

Keep trying to open up masterminds thread on the 562 to see exactly what he has removed but the pics won't show.

You need to flatten those high points so the ring and piston will fit OK, run a hone up it to completely level it and then reassemble the engine and run it in.

It should be OK, the plated land around the ground areas with the plating missing will support the weakened areas. The compression area above the exhaust port should still be OK.

Try it, what can go wrong:001_rolleyes::blushing:

You need to flatten those high points so the ring and piston will fit OK, run a hone up it to completely level it and then reassemble the engine and run it in.

It should be OK, the plated land around the ground areas with the plating missing will support the weakened areas. The compression area above the exhaust port should still be OK.

Try it, what can go wrong:001_rolleyes::blushing:

Hi spud)eddy fitted dual muff on 10)15hrs old 660 now it needs tuning yes thanks Jon

That is still a strato. It only partially blends the mixes instead of defeating the strato entirely. The difference is impressive.

Tell that to the EPA:sneaky2::lol:

Seen a few saws that have had modded Strato systems, I can fully see the logic and gains to be made but TBH, it is a massive step to take with anothers work saw and if it goes wrong.....................:thumbdown:

It is one thing to get gains and another to get a steady idle and decent top revs, especially on an autotune!

I guess we are looking for a machine that is near scrap that doesn't have much cash owed on it of much love left to give it:001_rolleyes::lol: Here we go again..................

Tell that to the EPA:sneaky2::lol:

Seen a few saws that have had modded Strato systems, I can fully see the logic and gains to be made but TBH, it is a massive step to take with anothers work saw and if it goes wrong.....................:thumbdown:

It is one thing to get gains and another to get a steady idle and decent top revs, especially on an autotune!

I guess we are looking for a machine that is near scrap that doesn't have much cash owed on it of much love left to give it:001_rolleyes::lol: Here we go again..................

Many strato mods have to do with defeating the strato system. I'm not a fan of this myself.

Mitch's mod only partially blends a small amount of mix in with the strato charge, and it only really starts to do so at higher RPMs.

Bit of rough grinding to give you an idea

ImageUploadedByArbtalk1419450158.278768.jpg.6648a7d19e56eab26dd17afd55e57b31.jpg

Lowers

ImageUploadedByArbtalk1419450191.753436.jpg.918d669ba0a9c0c6a401c91bf5c15bbe.jpg

Intake

ImageUploadedByArbtalk1419450231.127191.jpg.7dae0e5f82b2841fa1a46c518ba206ad.jpg

Removed the bump inside the transfers and blended higher up

ImageUploadedByArbtalk1419450490.985865.jpg.040383d29e4b3ce54143417cb9405c73.jpg

It's worth noting that the seals on the transfer covers are a nitrile type seal, so will need watching as I suspect after a while will cause an air leak!

Been porting a 372XTorq yesterday, it has had a big muffler mod, lots of transfer work and a thinner base gasket plus a 5 degree timing advance.

I wasn't sure I had done enough, the inlet port was about as large as it should be. The exhaust port has a VERY flat bottom edge that has caught a few tuners out - thanks for the warning Wes (WYK)

You can pull out all the strato parts but experimenting on customers saws isn't really the way to go. Prefer to do this sort of development work on a knackered saw.

Anyway - got to test it on some big beech today as a local fella had some to ring up. The smaller bit at the front of the image was 2' in diameter and the big bit at the back 4-5' in dia!

The saw was pretty damn good on a 2' bar, really digging in and kicking out some good chip, keeps up good revs and think the owner will be happy.

Had a little job for a neighbour, taking down a dead 8' cherry tree - done in a few minutes and a bottle of vino as payment - not too bad an afternoon:thumbup:

IMG_20141224_193756.jpg.5c6c5ab37231ea9dbc4ecfb319884a9c.jpg

IMG_20141224_194419.jpg.e94a9a4ab25261de536d520107c4d5dd.jpg