what does a firewood sale cost you in timber?

farmer_ben

We have a quarry weigh bridge near use so cut £200 of my load straight away green went on bridge and weighed 3.3 ton all in

So seeings u won't get much heavier than Oak that's why did it with that

So truck is 3 tons all in so when dry will just be on limit

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

2.2 to 2.5 cube to a ton

Quote me if I'm wrong

Weighed my £200 load of green Oak cut at 8-10 inch at 1.2 tons which is 2.7 cube

So £55 a ton leaves £65 ish of cord to make £200 of logs

So in a lorry load roughly £4000 delivered

Mark up is 2 thirds

Mark up is 2 thirds before other costs and labour.

Yes, before other costs and labour

We were saying price of raw material

Yes I knew what you were saying but thought I better say before a load more start doing logs and taking 2 thirds to the pub :001_smile: You must get some fairly dry green oak cord to get anywhere nr 2.2 cubic metres to a tonne. I did logs for 7 years and checked it regularly normally around 1.5 ash a little more

Yes I knew what you were saying but thought I better say before a load more start doing logs and taking 2 thirds to the pub :001_smile: You must get some fairly dry green oak cord to get anywhere nr 2.2 cubic metres to a tonne. I did logs for 7 years and checked it regularly normally around 1.5 ash a little more

HI STEVE your right there mate the oak/beech has to be well dry to get that as you said thanks jon :thumbup:

Some people are happy to earn less, sell good wood and turn up on time.

Simples!

So much truth in this statement, I only keep enough wood in the yard to fill nets and sell at the gate or bagged up by the pallet. When we were doing log deliveries its was always afterwork or weekends and we were just to unreliable. The rest of the timber I sell to the log boys most of which still split timber old school , only one lad I know with a processor. Judging by the size of wad that I am paid from they are all doing well.

Bob

Well I've been doing it 15 years and haven't given up!!

But will double check when I have time with some green oak and even take pics for u![ATTACH]145895[/ATTACH]

Its not so much given up, just upped the amount of kindling we do. The price of logs round our way is on the floor, price of cord sky high. As long as its viable in your area does not really matter what you get from a tonne as long as you make a living.

Its not so much given up, just upped the amount of kindling we do. The price of logs round our way is on the floor, price of cord sky high. As long as its viable in your area does not really matter what you get from a tonne as long as you make a living.

I won't being funny just saying it works!