Sachs Dolmar 112 silver

onebdi

Hi, I have just acquired a Sachs Dolmar 112 silver. I'm led to believe that this was a limited edition (for whatever reason). My problem is (sticking only to the chainsaw and not wandering off into the realms of psychoanalysis) I can't seem to find the correct fuel mix ratio. The 112 red specs say 40:1 the fuel cap says 25:1 and sachs dolmars website says all sachs dolmar products use 50:1. Can anyone point me to a definitive answer to this vexing quandary?

Mixing ratio is determined by the oil, not the machine.

If you get an oil that mixes at 50:1, then 50:1 it is. If the oil is for mixing at 40:1, then 40:1 it is, etc.

If you get an oil that doesn't specify it's ratio, then it's sh1te, don't use it!

Whatever posts come after this to confuse you, ignore. Follow the above and you'll be sorted.

Personally, I use a good quality full synthetic at 50:1 but there are lots of oils out there well capable of protecting something as basic as a chainsaw.

Hi, I have just acquired a Sachs Dolmar 112 silver. I'm led to believe that this was a limited edition (for whatever reason). My problem is (sticking only to the chainsaw and not wandering off into the realms of psychoanalysis) I can't seem to find the correct fuel mix ratio. The 112 red specs say 40:1 the fuel cap says 25:1 and sachs dolmars website says all sachs dolmar products use 50:1. Can anyone point me to a definitive answer to this vexing quandary?

I too have a couple of s/e silver sachs. 50:1 is s.o.p (irrespective of what the machine specifies) assuming you are using new 2-stroke oil, not some old mix that was new with the saw!

Whoah!!!! I now have to question everything I ever knew. I was always lead to believe that the ratio of oil to fuel differs from machine to machine. My Stihl runs on 50:1 My Jonsered runs on 40:1

I have always mixed fuel to oil ratios very carefully, as per manufacturers specifications. (most say warranty is invalid for incorrect mixtures)

If I run for example a machine that is specified as needing a 25:1 mix on a 50:1 mixture, I am basically giving it half on the oil that is required according to the manufacturer.

Are you ever so exceedingly sure about this, as I don't want to seize her up. She's a lovely looking machine and I intend to use her on a daily basis?

Are you ever so exceedingly sure about this,

Yes!

Been working on two strokes since mid-seventies mostly racing bikes and karts (and now quads as well) and still work at them on a regular basis both professionally and as a hobby.

Also for the last dozen years or so I've been an official supplier of Castrol lubricants and supply oil for everything from classic race bikes to powered hang gliders.

I also own (at last count) 17 motorcycles from early 70's to mid 90's, all two-stroke.

If it helps set your mind at rest - I have an old 1950s Allen Scythe with a Villiers 2-stroke. I have used it for the past couple of years for mowing a paddock twice a year and it is worked -really- hard to do it. On the cap it says 16:1 mix. I use Aspen (50:1) and it is happier than it has ever been.

Alec

I would not say there is a definitive answer to reducing the oil in the mix.

In the states the antique outboard collectors have a saying

"it had been 50 to 1d", resulting in a classic engine being ruined.

Perhaps the older outboards are a little more sensitive.

I run my Dolmar 115i on 50:1, no problems.

H-A

I would not say there is a definitive answer to reducing the oil in the mix.

In the states the antique outboard collectors have a saying

"it had been 50 to 1d", resulting in a classic engine being ruined.

Perhaps the older outboards are a little more sensitive.

I run my Dolmar 115i on 50:1, no problems.

H-A

Marine 2 stroke oil is completely different from 2 stoke oil you put in a saw . It is formulated differently because of the different environment an out board runs in .

Thanks for all the information. I am using Stihl two stroke (red, not green) which I would hope is a reputable oil.

Please accept my apologies for sounding mistrustful...I just had no idea that two stroke oil had come so far.

I too, used an Allen scythe many years ago. My dad use to measure a teacup full of Castrol GTX out and chuck it in the fuel tank. It ran beautifully, right up until we kind of accidentally set fire to it trying to light my dad's pipe. Suffice it to say, the Allen scythe did not survive, neither did the shed, or two thirds of the orchard we were cutting.

Similarly, my brothers Kawasaki KH400 met a grisly death after being ran over by a JCB (the bike, not my brother) It was a great bike, but it always used to rev up and down in tie to the indicators after he fitted an electronic ignition.

Anyway, I will give the 112 a 50:1 mix and run her up. She looks in great condition and I'm hoping she'll be a better buy than some of my "lemons". (I refuse to discuss them for fear of shame and ridicule)

Many thanks

Marine 2 stroke oil is completely different from 2 stoke oil you put in a saw . It is formulated differently because of the different environment an out board runs in .

I would say it is slightly different, the TC-W3 that I use in outboards is formulated to burn at a lower temperature, than chain saw oil.

I use chain saw oil for chain saws, and outboard oil for outboards.:biggrin:

H-A