Winch Advice

WillTimberlake

Hi all,

I'm thinking of putting a winch on the front of my truck. ( Mazda B2500/Ford Ranger).

I would like to know which is the best winch/a good winch to use for pulling trees out etc and for green laning etc.

I would also like to know how I would fix it to the front? Would I need a bull bar or similar?

Last question is, will I need to tell my insurance company that I've got a winch? I know it's a modification but is a winch included?

Many thanks for reading and I look forward to hearing your responses/replies.

Cheers guys.

I'm not sure if winch mounts are available off the shelf for your truck (if they are then let me know as is like one too!). The ones I have seen mounted to rangers are bespoke. You need to bolt the winch frame to the chassis rails under/behind the bumper (you may need to cut your bumper and or grill to make it fit).

In terms of the winch you are looking at 12v electric as a hydraulic or PTO winch will probably cost more than your truck in parts. They are very easy to bolt in and wire up. I bought an orange electric winchmax cheap as chips jobby new off eBay and am very pleased with it (I took a punt and expected it to be crap but it is actually very very good). I also have a 12v warn 9000i that came fitted to a chipper - this is also a good winch, but honestly no better than the winchmax yet they cost 3x the price!

You will need a good battery on your truck - a winch will quickly destroy a weak battery. Don't bother spending a milllion pounds on expensive fancy wincch batteries, buy the biggest (in terms of amp hours) battery that will fit in your holder from halfords. Get one with a 5 year warranty and keep the receipt - they will swap them without question if or when you cook it.

Get some pics up!

You. We'd to inform your insurance company, well I did and they do need to know. Some people have an auxiliary battery to power the winch too. Check out super winch, I have one and its awesome, pulls big trees no probs. get it wireless remote and dyneema bow rope instead of wire cable.

You. We'd to inform your insurance company, well I did and they do need to know. Some people have an auxiliary battery to power the winch too. Check out super winch, I have one and its awesome, pulls big trees no probs. get it wireless remote and dyneema bow rope instead of wire cable.

Cheers Hodge. I prefer to be on the right side of the insurance companies, even if I do have to pay a little bit more! Better to be safe than sorry.

I'll have a look at the super winch and do some research into it :)

As even a dealer fitted towbar is considered a notifiable modification I am sure that a winch would also be... especially as it will make the truck more attractive to the naughty people.

Mine is mounted in a tray that is pinned through lugs mounted on the vehicle and the electrics on a connector which means it can be safely stored away when not in use and used on multiple vehicles (at the moment it is on a three point linkage on the back of a tractor).

Those fibre ropes are nicer than cable to handle, but they are easy to damage and Dyneema is pants at shock loading (yes I know you shouldn't but....) and its really good at melting if it even sees any friction.

Steel cable for me thanks

I've never had any probs with my dyneema in 7 years of use, I pulled all sorts over with it, winched things up and down, used it for all sorts and its fine. I have not shock loaded it though, if used properly and looked it will last ages and won't rust. Each to thir own.

Having had 3 landies with a winch on each i would truly advise phoning david bowyer at superwinch, great guy and knows his stuff.

also good at fixing them when you get too keen!

i run 2 batteries and a split charge kit inbetween so when winching you dont hurt starting battery, made mistake first time and had single battery, cue a call to a mate for a jump start.