ported MS 170..

Pinkfoot

The clamshell design of the engine cuts out a few options on upping the compression. Sure, there are things that can be done but start getting a damn sight more involved.

If doing the work yourself then go ahead - it is all a learning curve but if geting others to do it, I think the gains won't be that cost effective.

The comment on the clamshell design is based on the fact you can't turn the cylinder down because the cylinder base forms the upper part of the crankcase - there are always other options...at a cost!

I think I have said all there is to be said, the MS171 and all its similar models are a bit restrictive in their design - the simple way is too open up the muffler and leave it at that. For the more inclined, the inlet and exhaust ports may be opened up.

The next stage is normally a pop up piston but as you can't turn the piston AND cylinder down, you are stuck with modifying the piston or seeing if another one will fit and can be modified in to a pop up!

On top of that, I think the 170's rod is also stamped metal.

If ya want to learn, give it a try. If ya want a keeper, I would go something with a more conventional chassis. The WIld Thing in my vid is wildly modified as well. It's basically a poulan chassis sold here as the various homelite/McCulloch/Partner 35-40cc saws with plastic chassis. It's sad for this American to see so many good old US saw mfgs now having their names dragged through the dirt in China. :(

That's definitely the most annoying video I've seen all year:biggrin:

I have ported an ms180. It's got:

an american ms210 carb, fully adjustable and it seems that just the carb swap gave it more power alone.

it has the exhaust drilled out and the louvres opened right up, it sounds right funny, like a very angry kitten.:lol:

Then the inlet and outlet ports were widened as far as possible and I made them a little squarer (there's not much room to make them bigger so squarer made more flow)

I also polished the ports to a near mirror finish as the casting was quite rough.

The result of all that faffing about is mainly a noisier saw. It makes me giggle when I start it:001_smile:

It has a tiny bit more power but there is so little to start with that 10 or 20% more is still very little power...

I might have a vid somewhere.

That is so bad, did watch all the way through for T shirt malfunction.

:biggrin:

H-A

No shirt malfunction necesario acqui:

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DFUoWx7eUcg]MAKING OF CALENDARIO ECHO SHINDAIWA - YouTube[/ame]