Old Woodmizer LT40 - any good?

pjoter

Hi, I am looking for Christmass present for my wife :confused1: and found old Woodmizer LT40HD G24. What do you thing, is it worth the money, and what to look at when buying. It have only 1 rail compare to the newer Woodmizer, is that bad thing? Many thanks...

here is the link:

http://www.donedeal.ie/tools-for-sale/saw-mill/6117762

Edited by pjoter
adding content

That's not a bad price for an old LT40, and it is an old one! The new LT40s still have one rail, which isn't ideal, but they can cut good boards. Complicated machines though, even without the extra electrical stuff, and cost a lot to fix when they go wrong. My (newer) LT40 cost me £8 for every machine hour I put on it in maintenance and repair.

pjoter,

I am also in the notion of buying a bandsaw.

I was also possibly considering the Logosol HD36, though as a lazy bugger I want some basic hydraulics.

I understand the HD36 drives the hydraulic pump electrically, which seems to be an unnecessarily complicated set-up, though no doubt easier to "engineer".

I would rather have a direct coupled or belt driven hydraulic pump.

Less to go wrong.

Other than that the "chassis" on the HD36 does seem to be soundly engineered.

I did however not be impressed by the smaller (29 model) Logosol bandsaw offering, down at the Forestry show in May.

It appeared to be very flimsy made up, in my preception.

Regards,

Marcus

It is also frustrating that it is not possible to price the various hyd options, for the HD36, from a list of published prices.(which dont be published)

Edited by difflock

logosols band mill is the norwood LM pro, check on some of the american forums for all the details, seems to get very good press, did have a deal going on it where you could get the band sharpener for £99 when you bought the mill, dont know if its still current or not

Thank you for you insight about the hydraulics difflock. Do you think that straight hydraulics are also better use of HP from engine compare to electric connection?

here is the x-mass offers from Logosol:

http://www.logosol.co.uk/cms2/downloads/en_UK_Julkampanj_2013_eng_17dec.pdf

just compare with us pricing:laugh1:

http://www.norwoodsawmills.com/sites/norwood/files/price-list-english.pdf

I have ruefully concluded that the $$$ price for any item for sale in the USofA, simply becomes £££ when sold in the UK.

I.e. the numbers stay the same, simply change the currency symbol in front.

So much simpler than any messing with complicated FX rates.

m

It's not quite as bad as that, particularly with the exchange rate being very favourable at the moment.

The Lumbermates do get good reviews, but the few weeks I used one I wasn't impressed. It's mainly the track and chassis - it's so flimsy. Fine I suppose if you are running it static, but no use as a mobile mill. It requires so much support to keep the rails flat (and it's so light) that one slightly heavily loaded log means having to resetup all the jacks.

In that price range (and £8k including vat is very good), there are dozens of mills to consider in the US. Trawl the web, read the reviews and compare and contrast. I'd recommend Logmaster (LM1), but then I'm biased.

Jonathan