LogPro - FREE Biomass Firewood Kiln

Duffryn

No one in today's market can possibly have LOG fuel at the stated £40 per ton unless they have their own woodland and carry out their own harvesting, and to be honest their general output would be lower than the 250 tons needed for your 250000 min KW. Remember , buy in bulk (ie larger companies) will be getting the materials cheaper. I have have contacts in two multi million pound wood product companies and they still pay in the £30 -£40 region for timber. It might be the case in your previous research a few years back in your initial steps but raw materials have increased by 20% in the last 2-3 years. Burning wood waste and straw without doubt seems the way forward and definately needs to be pushed in your sales. Any how I look forward to meeting the team tomorrow and seeing the kiln. I'm leaving at 6.30 so should be there for 9.30 :-)

At the end of the day LogPro users know the cost of their wood, logs are the most expensive form of fuel and put this source forward as the worst case scenario. We are just trying to be honest here.

Remember the boiler fuel store is huge (6ft long) and so can easily accept cord wood (cut in half) lengths or billets or tree stumps or wood that will not go through the processor / splitter easily. In fact in many ways this fuel source is preferable because it increases the density of the fuel load and results in the need to refuel less frequently. We have met a lot of people so far during the open days and they have nearly all had numerous sources of cheap fuel. I look forward to continuing the conversation when we meet tomorrow ! All the best Iain

• Replies 191
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Did anyone else go to the demo's over the last few days?

Went along yesterday and was so impressed by the whole thing. The build quality of the boiler, fans and other working parts are so good. Obviously built to last if the RHI is running over 20 years. Thanks to Iain and the other guys for all the information and help! Cant wait for mine to arrive :)

Went to the demo too. One question that has concerned me is what happens in the event of a power cut/ trip?

In the event of a power cut the boiler fan cuts the air supply to the fire and a UPS powers the heat exchangers for four hours to disperse the energy left in the boiler.

Went along yesterday and was so impressed by the whole thing. The build quality of the boiler, fans and other working parts are so good. Obviously built to last if the RHI is running over 20 years. Thanks to Iain and the other guys for all the information and help! Cant wait for mine to arrive :)

Thanks Ash for the feedback much appreciated. Good to meet you too

Yes went on wednesday very impressed with the whole idea, been trying to think how to put one together for about 4 years now it has been done for me and they have sorted all the paper work marvelous! I signed up there and then it can t come soon enough what with all this rain.

As for fueling it as the old saying goes it is the wood I reject that make my logs the best!

I am in it to supply good dry logs not for the rhi payments if these cme then that will be a bonus.Thanks to Chris and Danniele for there help .Big Chris.

• 3 weeks later...

An update on LogPro.

We were due to start shipping the first kilns from this coming Monday but have had to make the difficult decision to suspend these deliveries.

We have experienced a number of problems with the Glenfarrow GF175 Biomass boiler that we were using. A manufacturing fault on the boiler set us back several weeks and we then discovered major emissions and fuel usage problems when loaded with more than 150kg or so of fuel (a fraction of the furnace capacity).

Glenfarrow fixed this later problem for us by modifying the secondary air flow positions and the boiler performed as it should.

Glenfarrow were however not able to confirm that the modifications met the RHI emissions criteria. We commissioned our own RHI emissions test which was carried out today but were far from confident of a pass result.

The boiler specification from Glenfarrow states that the outputs are based on a fully loaded furnace and we were loading a mere fraction of that. Despite our best efforts we have not been able to resolve the dispute with Glenfarrow and the matter is now in the hands of our lawyers.

Our customers who had signed contracts or requested draft contracts have been informed of the situation and at no point have we taken any deposits from customers. Those customers who took out insurance in preparation for the delivery of the kiln will be reimbursed in full for the cost they incurred.

This is an incredibly embarrassing and expensive situation for us and very frustrating because the cause is out of our control and the kiln has been performing in excess of our claimed performance by some margin.

We are now devoting all our resources into providing a replacement boiler so that we can ship LogPro kilns.

I will provide an update as soon as we have a replacement.

We visited farm 2000 during our research. Impressive systems but couldn't meet our volume. Would I feel safe dealing with Farm 2000 and do they supply what they promise. My personal opinion is a YES.When we researched Glenfarrow we saw nothing but praise. They have clearly supplied very good boilers up until now, the rush to market of an RHI accredited boiler seems to be the issue and their handling of it.

Edited by Duffryn