Forklift for three point linkage

ArthurBottlesworth

Back from the murky depths!

I have been looking at 3pl mounted forklifts recently and could do with some advice. I have a little (27hp) carraro alpine tractor. It does have a small rear loader (which becomes a front loader as the tractor is reversible), it will only lift about 300kg however and I would like to be able to lift 500kg or a bit more.

Would a 1 tonne capacity rear forklift do the job, or am I limited to 300kg because of my tractor hydraulic capacity? The tractor refuses to lift 500kg with a set of standard forks (not forklift) on the rear linkage.

Hope that makes sense, ended up a bit of a ramble. Any advice gratefully received.

I expect it would lift it.

You will need one of those fork lifts with wheels at the bottom of the frame or you are back to square one.

I don't know anything about the tractor you have but it may become unstable moving about with such weights. Probably fine on flat concrete, not so on a hill.

I have actually made some of these in the past. I know a man who brakes forklifts, and welded some pins for lower lift arms and a clevis for top link.

What sort of money would you be interested in paying. Just wondering if it would be worth making a few more.

Dave

I expect it would lift it.

You will need one of those fork lifts with wheels at the bottom of the frame or you are back to square one.

I don't know anything about the tractor you have but it may become unstable moving about with such weights. Probably fine on flat concrete, not so on a hill.

Thanks for that, the tractor has a very low centre of gravity and the engine extends out well beyond the front wheels, so I'm hoping it will be stable. Only planning on lifting weight on flat concrete. Do the wheels at the base of the forklift mast affect maneuverability?

I have actually made some of these in the past. I know a man who brakes forklifts, and welded some pins for lower lift arms and a clevis for top link.

What sort of money would you be interested in paying. Just wondering if it would be worth making a few more.

Dave

Hi Dave,

Where are you based?

Certainly interested, could you pm me a ballpark figure? Can you put wheels at the base?

Many thanks, Graham

Thanks for that, the tractor has a very low centre of gravity and the engine extends out well beyond the front wheels, so I'm hoping it will be stable. Only planning on lifting weight on flat concrete. Do the wheels at the base of the forklift mast affect maneuverability?

They don't really affect maneuvering but the tyres will get scrubbed if you do it a lot.

My tractor will lift most things I ask it to without relying on the wheels. I try to keep them off the ground but nice to have them there if the tractor does decide to lift at the front.

Simple things like reversing up any hills, setting off slowly and keeping the weight as close to the tractor as possible get me through most situations.

Even something as simple as going into the wide part of the pallet instead of the narrow end makes a difference. (keeps the weight closer to the tractor)

Most of these setups seem to be 1500kg rated, I have never got to that weight.

With the extra wheels (=fulcrum) virtually below the mast, it makes a shocking difference to the leverage of the load lifted balanced against the entire weight of the tractor on the other side of the forklift wheels.

Good point! On commercially made models do the mast wheels spin like castors so you can turn easily with a load? Also, do you need a good hydraulic flow rate and powerful pump to operate the forks?