Close shave and thankfull

Lancstree

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Couple of years ago a bloke in Norway almost cut his head off. He was sectionfelling, the groundie said he heard the climber struggeling with the saw that was pinched and suddenly he heard the saw speed up and a flow of blood came down. Climber died momentarely.

What they believed happened was that the saw was pinched and the climber tried to pull it out when holding in the throttle. When it came free it hit him in the throat on full speed.:thumbsdown:

I haven't got any pictures, but in November 06 I was cross cutting a big ash with the 066, we'd been at it a couple of hrs one sunday am, out of the blue, the saw kicked back and came back at me. I had full PPE on and the saw was well maintained. The chain brake came on, it was just the shear momentum of a saw that big that knocked my helmet off and the staionary chain just caught the edge of my right eyebrow!

4 hrs in our local walk in centre, 8 stitches, half a tube of glue, 3 steri strips, a bucket of nurofen, one very black eye and large headache , a new helmet + 1 week off work later, i was back the following sunday finishing the cross cutting.

I have allways worn my PPE as I am a big wimp and don't like hospitals or injuries and that will never change. I dread to think of the consequences of the brake not working on that saw or a slightly different body position to the saw it would at the least been blindness or worse serious head injuries/fatalty.

Jamie, hope your hands better, thats the last time I check unread posts while eating me lunch!!!

Reminds me of an old boy in the pub one day, we were chatting about saw work, and he was going on and on about the old days, and the high risks of the job. He rolled his trouser leg up and showed me this bloody great scar from his left knee and up his thigh. Turned out he was snedding out,day was running out, so in the rush he speeded up snedding. Saw kicked out at some point and in his words he felt a "bit of a bang" to his leg. As the day faded, he couldnt see the damage. drove home, saw the state of his leg and passed out!! He was so lucky not to hit any major arteries/veins. The hospital reckoned that the cold weather may have helped the blood to have congealed quickly, thus the lack of flowing blood. This was in the time before PPE coming in, so he'd only be wearing jeans.

My old man worked as a countryside ranger in the days of danarm moster chainsaw. They were issued with ear muffs and overalls lol !

He had a saw kick back into his leg, that was sewn up without anesthetic at he royal military hospital Aldershot ouch !!