560xp .325 or 3/8 pitch?

alex_m

Actually Eddy said "as fast as" and that he hadn't noticed a difference in kerf width in practice.

It would be an interesting test to have one saw with same bar chain and rim in both widths and cut rings from same log with a stopwatch.

Actually, an 8t .325 will be faster in the cut compared to a 3/8 7t rim, simply because it's a smaller chain with more cutters, but stock for stock, the 3/8 chain wins, as for 14% more kerf, that's about 1.2mm, provided either bar has no splaying and the chains are brand new and correctly tensioned

Sent using Arbtalk Mobile App

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The oil tank is also larger, not by much, but it is part of the crank :P speaking of 562's, is part number 505 15 69-01 available in your country?

I believe the .33 l vs. .35 l thing in the specs is a misprint, specially as the 560xpg is listed at the same .35 l as the 562 versions.

Of course I am not 100% sure, but very close to.....:001_smile:

don't forget when you are cutting bigger or tough timber, there will be a lot more stress and strain on the rivits and side plates, I have found in the past the a light weight chain will fall apart quickly due to the extra ware, move up to a bigger and stronger chain, the last thing you or your staff want a chain wrapped around there legs when it fails

don't forget when you are cutting bigger or tough timber, there will be a lot more stress and strain on the rivits and side plates, I have found in the past the a light weight chain will fall apart quickly due to the extra ware, move up to a bigger and stronger chain, the last thing you or your staff want a chain wrapped around there legs when it fails

That's what chain catchers are for

In absolute terms, surely at the same bar length and the same chain speed (change the sprocket to achieve this), the thinner kerf on .325 will win out over 3/8?

That is of course a factor (to a varying degree with different chain models), as is the higher number of cutters of the .325 chain.

For the record, on an 034 I run 3/8x8 for my 15" & 16" bars and .325x9 on a 13" bar. I was considering purchasing my next 15" bar in .325?

There is nothing wrong with trying that! :biggrin:

While on this subject, can anyone clear up bar figment sizes on these saws?

Is the 560 on the "small bar fitment" same as the old husky 36 & 41 of years gone by?

Yes, all K095 mounts, the same as from the 36, 136, 236 all the way up to the 346, 357 and all the others of the 50/60cc range, the D009 mount on the 562xp on the other hand, is the same all the way from the 266, 365 up to the 2100 and 3120

Cheers for that Eddy, seems there's only 2 sizes really then? That's sorted my dilemma.

Curiously though, the 562 is on the bigger mount, yet virtually the same saw?

Thanks again Eddy.

Yeah, think there MAY be a difference in the oil tank but husky literature has always been questionable at best, the 562 is for the yank market as they love running oversized bars with skip chains on tiny saws.

As for bar sizes, each manufacturer generally uses 2 sizes, husky changes at the 70cc mark, where as stihl changes at the 100cc mark (with the exception of the 050/1), keep it simple

I already have a 560 and 20" bar with ripping chain (for an Alaskan mini mill), so running normal 325 chain on this bar should be ok? (for logs, mainly dead elm).

Based on previous replies I'm guessing an 8 tooth sprocket would improve performance on the 15" that I use mainly but would it be a bit much for the 20" on a 560? especially in elm?