Dartmoor.

Bren.

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

hello jon ive never been in the warren inn do they do nice meals mate:thumbup1: i was thinking about taking a dolly out for lunch:lol::lol:

Must visit venue mate; want to meet for a pint up there before Christmas? :thumbup:

Warren do a lovely burger and chips! Its always our stopping point from our way back from work if wev been over that side of the moor.

My parents have a farm on Hameldown and you can just see their top fields from the warren, that area of the moor is my favourite.

The food is good honest stuff tbh. Best visited in a blizzard. Soussons was the first forest I ever worked in self employed before the days of harvesters.

I'm just off the south eastern side of the moors but work most days up there, stonewalling, fencing, hedge laying, and just now I'm thinning out larch for a couple weeks , never get board of the place come rain or shine 😊

Thinning larch? Not clearfelling ?

I farm very close to Matthew in Princetown, the farm is other side of the valley opposite Wistmans woods. I love living and farming up here but it's not without it's challenges! After weeks of solid rain I do get a bit envious of the folk off the moors who are normally basking in sunshine, but it's worth it for the good days!

The food is good honest stuff tbh. Best visited in a blizzard. Soussons was the first forest I ever worked in self employed before the days of harvesters

A friend of mines Grandfather got stuck in the Warren inn in the snow storm in 1963, apparently had a great time! Booze on tap and free food for 3 days! :thumbup:

Pretty sure theres harvesting going on in Soussons at the moment:confused1:

she used to live at shillipark farm which is the farm up the lane behind merrivale quarry in the middle of the moor fairly bleak she lived there about 25yrs ago

Weirdly a friend of mine used to live there. They only lasted about a year until they couldn't hack it any more, having come from a town house then having to live with no mains power in a pretty strange house in the middle of nowhere was a bit too much!

A friend of mines Grandfather got stuck in the Warren inn in the snow storm in 1963, apparently had a great time! Booze on tap and free food for 3 days! :thumbup:

They've got postcards of the snow drift in there, helicopter etc. :biggrin:

Soussons - indeed, Nick Cox for Euroforest; snatched from Tilhill after LTCs stopped.

Must visit venue mate; want to meet for a pint up there before Christmas? :thumbup:

The food is good honest stuff tbh. Best visited in a blizzard. Soussons was the first forest I ever worked in self employed before the days of harvesters.

Or on a hot summers day, must be the best view from a beer garden in England:laugh1:

Harry, am I right in thinking your farm must be one of the highest on Dartmoor? I know my parents farm is meant to be one of them but yours is the only one I can think of which is at least as high/higher?

I farm very close to Matthew in Princetown, the farm is other side of the valley opposite Wistmans woods. I love living and farming up here but it's not without it's challenges! After weeks of solid rain I do get a bit envious of the folk off the moors who are normally basking in sunshine, but it's worth it for the good days!

Weirdly a friend of mine used to live there. They only lasted about a year until they couldn't hack it any more, having come from a town house then having to live with no mains power in a pretty strange house in the middle of nowhere was a bit too much!

its a small world, that house was always cold my wife said that before they done the house up the wind used to howl through the windows and doors and the wind was so cold. the worst experience she had up there was one night some policeman called in said there was a prisoner on the loose and they wanted to check the outbiuldings she was on her own that night so she was worried that night

I wish it was clear felling , the owner wants a 30% reduction for first thinning !

Extracted out with a heavy horse