Your Website

Hobbsurf

After being let down by someone promising the world on a ''business card'' style website for £200 and then going to a dedicated web design company and being quoted £500 to £700 (+VAT) I was getting fed up.

Watching England V New Zealand RL on Sat I saw some advertising for DIY web design in the form of Godaddy.com

I'm no techie geek but I'm ''PC literate'' (whatever that means).

9 hours & £85 later (for 2 years initial membership & hosting) Home

More work to be done in due course but I can't rec these guys highly enough, 24/7 phone support with no annoying call centre culture.

If you are thinking of websites as being too expensive - think again.

Russ

Getting listed on page 2 of google & I've not really played with the ''back room'' stuff yet.

I'm not after a mega sparkley site, but I can edit it whenever I want and I don't have to wait for a tech geek to do it for me.

Only posted it for similar small start ups like me to have a look at, but thanks for the feedback.

Russ

Top right image needs optimizing for web it takes too long to load

just a personal thing but the top 2 images need shrinking a bit, they detract your attention from the menu buttons

You can save a lot on design but good designers earn thier money by making a site SEO optimised properly, if you are competing on keywords with local competitors you will understand what I mean soon.

I am lucky that I do my own site building and have a friend who works for a big SEO firm who advises me how to make it work better.

Scraggs is spot on re search engine optimisation etc - the diy sites are not all that search engine friendly. You will improve your ranking if you add a links page to other sites and more importantly get other websites to link to you. The use of Key words in headings and page titles will also improve ranking. See also 1and1.co.uk - Domain, Hosting and website solutions - they do some good 'diy' sites for business and personal use.