Tree with a bulge!

davey_b

Thats a bulge all right . Good spot . Some one with a greater knowledge than me will be along to give a cause and a reason . Dave Humphreys possibly ??

lol, I will wait for the revelation, as I certainly do not know the direct cause of these unusual swellings, got afew on my patch also on beech, many have Ganoderma one has Aurantiporus but not sure if theres any link:001_smile:

lol, I will wait for the revelation, as I certainly do not know the direct cause of these unusual swellings, got afew on my patch also on beech, many have Ganoderma one has Aurantiporus but not sure if theres any link:001_smile:

Its bleedingly obvious that tree is preggers!!

Mr Goaty PHD treebiology

Looks like a bloody big sphaeroblast!

I don't think this would be a spheroblast Dan.

I understand that Speroblasts in essence, are meristematic cell disorders where the process of cell division to produce a bud does not complete and the miss formed bud becomes included with every years annual growth.

Usually no bigger than a duck egg as they tend to eventually detach from the stem probably due to weight and abscission.

like in the shot of this oak below.

I think the growth (burr) in the original post may be scar tissue that has formed at a trauma and is mal-formed grain in the annual layed down wood

........or what Tony said :biggrin:

image.jpg.5345382b531abac53132d083ba1622b4.jpg