3/16/4.8 files

predator

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Chain files are short lived and disposable items anyway - how important is it really to find the very "best" ones? :confused1:

i think its very important to choose the best>>> whats the saying buy cheap buy twice etc. I,ve asked and read other posts regarding files etc and took the advice from others that have posted and now carry a few oregon and some save edge ones but not used/compared any yet so cant coment how good they are or whats bestist lol

Chain files are short lived and disposable items anyway - how important is it really to find the very "best" ones? :confused1:

It is important to me, if I can save 1/3 of the filing strokes, which translates to an equivalent time saving, which is what the Save Edge files gives me. Have you ever tried Save Edge files, yourself?

I have never understood the file, grinder chain debate. I used to buy carlton chain loops in 16" for about £3 + vat. My bench grinder discs last forever and sharpen a chain properly in a few minutes. Files are £1 ea and I get a couple of sharpens out of ea file. Cheap chains and bench grinder or expensive files.

i cant take a bench grinder with me lol i also have bought a 12v jobby grinder off rob but only to recover a chain thats been through stone/steel nails etc so to dress up when things start getting dusty i spend 10 mins and a brew with a decent file

ps i would,nt waste a rusty nail to hang a carlton chain in my shed either

Edited by predator
wording

I have never understood the file, grinder chain debate. I used to buy carlton chain loops in 16" for about £3 + vat. My bench grinder discs last forever and sharpen a chain properly in a few minutes. Files are £1 ea and I get a couple of sharpens out of ea file. Cheap chains and bench grinder or expensive files.

I think the grinder works well if you're a take the chain off the saw to sharpen it and replace with a sharp chain... but that is something that would never work for me and most people I know sharpen the chain while it is still on the bar...

... horses for courses really!

:001_smile:

i cant take a bench grinder with me lol i also have bought a 12v jobby grinder off rob but only to recover a chain thats been through stone/steel nails etc so to dress up when things start getting dusty i spend 10 mins and a brew with a decent file

ps i would,nt waste a rusty nail to hang a carlton chain in my shed either

Each to their own but I cant really tell the difference. I find stihl chain soft to file and quick to blunt. Apart from oregon not tried much else. Perhaps I am not as rich as some folk :biggrin:

I tried my Save edge files today for the first time and I have to say there was noticeably more bite than the Oregon ones I have been using and the Oregon ones came second in the test I believe .......

thats why i,ve ordered a couple box,s from rob as i feel the oregon file polishes more than actually files but not all the time thats on oregon chains though also i have some stihl chains but not got round to using them yet so cant coment but back to the oregon files on oregon chain i can see very quickly in the sunlight the file starting to polish up and lose its bite so to speak even though i turn/tap the file etc but also find the cheapo benchgrinder i have wants to take too much off too fast to hot etc but has its place in my shed to recover a mullerd chain but it does seem greedy on the cutters so on that note mines a file everytime