Dead elm rigging

RobRainford

I hear what people are saying about them becoming unsafe and of cause caution should always be used, just as with any tree being climbed, dead or alive, but IME DED killed trees are very different to your average dead tree. The tree cuts off its own water supply and actually seasons stud up.

The OP is asking about trees that have only been dead for 3 years, not long at all for DED killed trees.

Some good responses there and agree with what's being said. Of course caution would be used being next to a road. Nice thick anchor points and rigging when necessary. There's only a small portion that needs rigging down as its near the road. I think the hardest part will be trying to spike into bark that's held on with hope and dreams.

Arbtalk app doesn't like images from the iphone for some reason so can't post any I have.

Sent using Arbtalk Mobile App

As has been said, check the roots. I've done a few dead elms that have been almost like a ball and socket in the ground.... scary once you realise! Round here, a lot of them fruit Polyporus squamosus and have fairly severe decay even in small diameter stems. At three years dead you should be alright, just have a good look before rigging anything big

Always take a conservative approach when dealing with unknown risks. Any tree being removed can be drilled/bored at the base to determine decay.

I remember dismantling large elms and seeing all the top branches disintegrate around my anchor point when the load came on the line!

Progress slowly, undertake on-going risk assessment and act accordingly.

Some dead trees are very firm, others are definitely not - you never can tell if the roots are rotten.

I hope that helps.