Boiler stoves

Mull

the 45 degree limit is to prevent cold (45) water being pumped into the boiler/stove which would cause condensation and the early demise of the boiler.

In many systems there is a loop which will heat up first by convection, (sometimes pumped) , the low stat then lets cool water into the loop, but prevents it from dropping below 45.

There may be some issue with the design of your system, or you may need to give it more time to reach steady temperatures.

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

the 45 degree limit is to prevent cold (45) water being pumped into the boiler/stove which would cause condensation and the early demise of the boiler.

In many systems there is a loop which will heat up first by convection, (sometimes pumped) , the low stat then lets cool water into the loop, but prevents it from dropping below 45.

There may be some issue with the design of your system, or you may need to give it more time to reach steady temperatures.

as above. My system just does the rads and is a gravity system (the pipes all run uphill from the back of the burner so the upstairs heats up first) until the temp of the return pipe hits 45 degs then the pump kicks in and pumps it to the rads downstairs.

All systems are different but my mate who put mine in said the stats should not be anywhere near anything which could affect the reading ie close to the burner or any other warm pipes or also anywhere too draughty

Agreed, 45 isn't that hot but that is the temp at bottom of cylinder so water temp of circulating water is much greater,

Think stove is probably too big, room gets too hot while trying to get rads on and to keep rads going you need to keep piling on the logs, just have to live with it I guess.

No need to live with it - get a switch fitted so that you can manually turn the pump on when you want it on.

No need to live with it - get a switch fitted so that you can manually turn the pump on when you want it on.

Just need to turn stat down to bring pump on.

Thinking of putting a fan on a stat to shift heat from kitchen where stove is, through to living room. This should ease the overheating issue in kitchen.

Just need to turn stat down to bring pump on.

Thinking of putting a fan on a stat to shift heat from kitchen where stove is, through to living room. This should ease the overheating issue in kitchen.

When we fitted a boiler stove a long time ago now - about 17 years if memory is correct - one of the better things we did was to fit a manual switch for the pump, depending on fuel quality we can have warm water in radiators within 20 minutes of lighting the stove.

It also strikes me that there is something strange about this system since you say that the stove makes the kitchen hot but you have to pile logs on to keep the radiators going - we have had completely the opposite experience - the stove puts so much heat into the water that the lounge stays cool while the rest of the house is well warmed - hence when we refurbished the lounge recently we put a radiator in the same room as the stove.

Sounds as if you need to turn the stat well down

When we fitted a boiler stove a long time ago now - about 17 years if memory is correct - one of the better things we did was to fit a manual switch for the pump, depending on fuel quality we can have warm water in radiators within 20 minutes of lighting the stove.

It also strikes me that there is something strange about this system since you say that the stove makes the kitchen hot but you have to pile logs on to keep the radiators going - we have had completely the opposite experience - the stove puts so much heat into the water that the lounge stays cool while the rest of the house is well warmed - hence when we refurbished the lounge recently we put a radiator in the same room as the stove.

Sounds as if you need to turn the stat well down

Interesting!

Guess I will have a fiddle with the stats, does your stove do hot water as well as rads?

Where are your pipe stats located and what are they set at? Do you use manual switch a lot?

If you don't mind me asking!

The only stat we have is mounted on the side of the storage cylinder, not sure if it still works to be honest - if we want to prioritise house heating we switch the pump on - if we want to prioritise domestic hot water we switch it off. Regulate the total heat output of the stove using the amount of fuel put into the fire and how much air inlet and chimney damper we set.

Not knocking all this automatic stuff but like to be able to get heat where I want and when I want it.

Cheers

mac

The only stat we have is mounted on the side of the storage cylinder, not sure if it still works to be honest - if we want to prioritise house heating we switch the pump on - if we want to prioritise domestic hot water we switch it off. Regulate the total heat output of the stove using the amount of fuel put into the fire and how much air inlet and chimney damper we set.

Not knocking all this automatic stuff but like to be able to get heat where I want and when I want it.

Cheers

mac

I wouldn't like to be without the high temp stat, don't want system to boil. Was a bit concerned about pump coming in at low temps and putting cold water into a hot stove as has been mentioned in a previous post.

Are you still on the original stove?