Stolen landrover and big chipper! Leeds/otley

JonnyP

Great to hear a happy ending. Hope the landy wasn't too badly ragged getting into it (if it's anything like some I've had it won't have proved too difficult).

Sound liek the perps were repeat offenders. I've love to see some sort of financial redress where the theft of work vehicles or tools are involved to deal with the loss of earnings issue. Shouldn't we be compensated by the toerags for the money we lose by not being able to do our jobs due to these thefts?

Just a thought. I remain open to some of the other, more physically painful, punishments often suggested in this section of the forum....

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have often wondered whether the victim of a theft could launch a civil action for loss and damages against the perpetrator of the crime. Of course, the scrote concerned would need to have some assets to make it worthwhile but it is not difficult or expensive to take action in the small claims court.

The claim could cover repair of any damage, costs of hiring replacement kit, loss of profits from the down time etc . It is difficult to see how the criminal could defend such a claim if they have been found guilty of the theft.

Once judgement was obtained, if they didn't pay you could petition for bankruptcy.

Sorry to hear, hope you get it all back in one piece.

Last Saturday I was under orders from the wife to go shopping for a few bits !!!!!! Whilst parking up I noticed a nice 90 landy. Hundreds of shoppers about, come back to the car and there are the coppers talking to the owner the landy had been nicked. Just not know how they can do such a devious act.

The claim could cover repair of any damage, costs of hiring replacement kit, loss of profits from the down time etc . It is difficult to see how the criminal could defend such a claim if they have been found guilty of the theft.

Once judgement was obtained, if they didn't pay you could petition for bankruptcy.

They should also pay for the police time and their accommodation in prison instead of being put up at taxpayer's expense while they learn more tricks from their fellow inmates.

• 3 weeks later...

Pleased to hear your gears been recovered Jonny and a few scumbags caught.

We had 14 units done over in Elland a few weeks ago by thieves. Pulled into the yard on a Saturday late afternoon, cut locks to 14 units and proceeded to take what they could. Our unit got broken into but luckily for us they only took a load of 110v cables before getting disrupted by the landlord. He blocked the gates and they smashed their way out through his van. Certainly wasn't for stopping.

Nobody's been caught for it yet sadly.