Replacement for 346XP.

leafcut

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

18" on a 346 will be horrible.

Not expecting it to be great. Normally run it on a 13" , occasionally 15". Trying it out of interest for climbing, instead of carting my 576 on 18 up the tree. As long as it chugs it's way through it offsets the pain of the 576's weight.

But has anyone done the conversion to heated handles?

18" on a 346 will be horrible.

I havnt used a bar smaller than 18" on my 346 and to be honest I havnt needed to. I found this bar/saw combination perfect, being just long enough for those thicker bits when needed and light up a tree when the top seemed a little small for the job at hand. The speed was excellent with a well sharpened chain-"horrible"- definately not, suppose its something of a mind set, maybe if I had used a shorter bar prior to fitting an 18" my opinion would differ. My 346 and the new 550 are my most used saws both on 18"-outstanding.

Very happy with the saws performance with the 18" bar. Used it cross cutting bar depth Beech and it was absolutely fine. No qualms about using this combination up the tree.

Its good to see you in agreement, that little more length can make all the difference. I havnt found the saws performance lacking at all and in comparison to similar sized saws running on 18" the 346 & the 550 clearly out perform them.

Its good to see you in agreement, that little more length can make all the difference. I havnt found the saws performance lacking at all and in comparison to similar sized saws running on 18" the 346 & the 550 clearly out perform them.

Whilst I am more than happy to use the 346 and 18" combination up the tree, it would be last choice for serious ringing up. My 576xp will be out to play for that. Fine for small amounts, but no more than that.

Nothing worse than listening to a small saw screaming endlessly in large wood.