Replacement for 346XP.

leafcut

My 346 is simply the best saw I have ever used-with an 18" bar there is a wide range of thickness it can cover. Its weight is only apparent after a hard day up a pole when I start to get arm lock. No-my 346 stays with me-if the 550xp is up to par the 346 will be a back up/firewood saw. Like I said before-the 550 must be some saw if it can out perform the 346-we shall see...Nick Pearson, Timberline-Roe Ltd.

what guage 18" bar do you use on it??

ive got a narrow gauge oregan 18" on my 346 , wouldnt say it flew but for me the weight saved against taking up a 361 makes it a good up the tree option, on the ground id choose the bosses 361 as that loves the 18" stuck in deep!:blushing::laugh1:

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You guys have given me some food for thought. I bought my 550xpg as backup for my 346xp for all the groundwork I was doing, but it's the 550 that comes out the truck first nowadays.

I was getting concerned about how long the 346 was idle and stale fuel issue.

I've been using my 576 up the tree on 18", then 26" and it's a big bugger for that.

I'm going to get the carb serviced on the 346, run on aspen only and fit an 18" bar 325 for use up the tree. Offset the 576 weight and accept the slower cutting.

You guys have given me some food for thought. I bought my 550xpg as backup for my 346xp for all the groundwork I was doing, but it's the 550 that comes out the truck first nowadays.

I was getting concerned about how long the 346 was idle and stale fuel issue.

I've been using my 576 up the tree on 18", then 26" and it's a big bugger for that.

I'm going to get the carb serviced on the 346, run on aspen only and fit an 18" bar 325 for use up the tree. Offset the 576 weight and accept the slower cutting.

try the narrow guage one its called oregan micro lite pro i think, not sure what others find but seems to cut ok to me.

I agree that an18" bar isn't what you want to be putting on a 346, but I am surprised at the general dissatisfaction that people seem to be feeling about them.

A couple of years ago everyone was raving about them. They were the best thing since sliced bread and no one had a bad word to say about them. Even die hard Stihlists were recommending them!

Given that these saws are reliable and have no significant issues, why are people turning against them now?

I've never been a fan of the 346 really. It wasn't that it was a bad saw particularly, just that it was almost a step back from the older saws and needed updated a lot sooner.

• 2 weeks later...

Well-my new 550xp has now been used every other day for the past 2 weeks or so. I have cut a great deal of wood from conny bashing to 10" beech, and numerous dia ash. This saw is phenominal-it is better than the 346-the ergonomics to start, then the rev boost is extremely responsive especially when snedding. Although only two weeks old it starts virtually 2nd or 3rd pull. My brother came up last weekend where we were cutting numerous lengths of fallen ash for firewood and winching out with the portawinch. Tim has only ever used a small stihl 181, he had also bought a 550-he was utterly gob smacked at its performance..I had to get him to slow down as he was clearly enjoying himself..once he had sussed out undercutting on the thicker lengths there was no stopping him. The fuel consumption is quite high but what do you expect from a saw thats operated at full tilt for x minutes. Simply put-I am well impressed with the 550xp, and now feel a little guilty when I see my old 346 lurking in the corner lol...thanks for your input...Nick Pearson, Timberline-Roe Ltd.

Well-my new 550xp has now been used every other day for the past 2 weeks or so. I have cut a great deal of wood from conny bashing to 10" beech, and numerous dia ash. This saw is phenominal-it is better than the 346-the ergonomics to start, then the rev boost is extremely responsive especially when snedding. Although only two weeks old it starts virtually 2nd or 3rd pull. My brother came up last weekend where we were cutting numerous lengths of fallen ash for firewood and winching out with the portawinch. Tim has only ever used a small stihl 181, he had also bought a 550-he was utterly gob smacked at its performance..I had to get him to slow down as he was clearly enjoying himself..once he had sussed out undercutting on the thicker lengths there was no stopping him. The fuel consumption is quite high but what do you expect from a saw thats operated at full tilt for x minutes. Simply put-I am well impressed with the 550xp, and now feel a little guilty when I see my old 346 lurking in the corner lol...thanks for your input...Nick Pearson, Timberline-Roe Ltd.

346 is a slug in comparison .......unless you have a spud ported on on a 15" 8pin .:biggrin: