Making chip for woodchip boiler

Pierre_robbo

Hi newbie here (usual excuses apply)

I've 20 acres of wild overgrown woodland that has hasn't been touched for probably 50 years or longer.

I'm about to buy a couple of woodchip boilers (Austrian Eta 130kw and a 45kw) and will be needing 80tons/240 cu of chip per year.

I've no idea about any if the variety of trees that I have or even if it's hard or softwood but there are some big trees. Some will be 50ft height and 2ft across.

I'm looking for advice on the best time of year to fell, expected drying rates, (I'm looking for 30% moisture).

Then once felled, maybe an acre every other year which would be the best variety to replant purely focusing on yield returned suitable for woodchip boilers.

Any tips or info would be really appreciated. I've already learnt a huge amount from this great forum.

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

A terrible pity to regard 20 acres of mixed mature undistrubed woodland purely as a fuel source.

The capital costs of the boilers you mention would suggest a reliable and costed fuel source be sorted out.......................before purchase.

I know nowt about wood chip btw

You make some important points.

The first be a source of chip, if I have to buy chip from Stobarts or others then so be it. It should reduce my oil bill from £15,000 per year to around £3k per year in chip. I just don't like the idea of stobarts hauling chip from the north of Glasgow when potentially I can drag it 200 yards from my wood.

why not buy a wood (log) gasifiication boiler, u have the wood, turn it into logs. easier than trying it turn into chip.

Eco Angus Wood Burning Boilers - Angus Super Wood Log Gasification Boiler

no chip is less labour intensive as it far easier to handle as you can do it by machine :thumbup1:

I can remember the hassle of loading the boiler daily :thumbup:

You make some important points.

The first be a source of chip, if I have to buy chip from Stobarts or others then so be it. It should reduce my oil bill from £15,000 per year to around £3k per year in chip. I just don't like the idea of stobarts hauling chip from the north of Glasgow when potentially I can drag it 200 yards from my wood.

You will find that the machinery to cover that 200yards or the labour involved to cut and carry the 80t per annum of timber that you need plus the cost of paying for a chipper will make Stobarts £38t delivered in price look very cheap indeed.

As intimated by Difflock you maybe should put some value on the woodland both for timber value and amenity / conservation value. It makes perfect sense to remove and chip small trees that need to come out or are due to harvest anyway. Felling 2ft dia trees to feed through a chipper is not likely to be cheap or even cost effective.

Unless you already have access to a chipper DIY is not likely to save you any money.

Cheers

mac

Wow, 20 acres of mixed mature woodland, would love to have that. As previously said getting rid of the smaller stuff for fuel and leaving the big hardwoods for timber (or just leaving them) would be a better idea. Maybe look at getting a few books on woodland management, or get someone to come and look/manage the estate. That way in the long run you will maximize what you do have. Best of luck.