PTI course next week, touching cloth.

ChrisG

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I would say the course content is really good and the fungi ident is open book (although one chap managed to fudge his up). If you have experience in the industry I think this will give a head start as we survey trees every time we climb or quote etc. I would try and get handy with using a clinometer or which ever method you choose for measuring height. Try and practice pacing out metre strides for canopy spreads and distances from buildings/roads etc. enjoy the course and ask questions

Cheers Ben,

got 7 years industry experience, but mainly from an ecology point of view, still climbing though, endoscopy of suitable features for Bats, surveys from MEWPs etc. Done a couple of basic inspection courses over the years and use clinometers in work so no worries there. Looking forward to it but a bit nervous at the same time as I've not done any techy learning courses since my degree in 2007 :-S

A couple of things I found really useful:

Spend a bit of time drawing up an inspection / report template that contains ALL relevant details that you might ever want to include in a report and simply pen amend (score through) anything that ISN'T relevant to the specific tree you are reporting on. Also, explain all your keys / codes in a footnote. These points allow the course assessor and moderator to see your logic and understanding of the broader subject not just specifics of the individual tree you are reporting on. (You'll understand that's good exam technique rather than what you might do in a real report but it also frees valuable minutes so that you can be looking up at the tree rather than down at your clipboard during the timed element of the tree inspection.)

I also prepped a good crib card which crossed ref'd in a table all of the fungi:

Type/annual/type of rot/effect on tree etc (from memory I can't recall the specifics but hopefully the classroom time will give you a steer on what is required) All you have to do then is correctly ID the fungi then run your finger across the table and copy down the details.

Hope that helps?

PS. If time permits, read Research for Amenity Trees No. 2, 4, & 7

Who's delivering the course?

Take plenty of notes and remember that you need to respond to the questions in the way Lantra wants them answered not how you think they should be answered. There are key words and phrases and some things that just need to be learnt pigeon style. I found it is not all about what you know about trees its more about what the course wants you to know about trees if that makes sense. Got mine earlier this year, excellent course and very well delivered but it was a tight three days with plenty to learn.

Cheers gents,

The table sounds like a good idea instead of trawling through books :001_smile:

My main area of concern is the types of rot and associated affects on timber, but if you can refer to the books I should be ok.

Had my head in the books for a while now, but there is a lot to take in and I don't do myself any favours by probably pouring over too much info lol. Just want to get it right on the day, but it sounds like as long as you listen to what Lantra want from you and knuckle down, you're off!

Course is being delivered by Guy Watson, Arb Association.

Professional Tree Inspection 3 Day Course ? Training

Thanks again chaps.

Did my PTI mon tues weds this week.

You should be given all the notes you will need for the exam part and fungi ident.

Focus on trees and the law, ie duty of care, common/statute law.... Axiom of uniform stress, phenological calendar of trees, structural defects, learn the colonisation strategy and decay mode of fungi plus their significance on trees, health and safety relating to tree inspections.

For the inspection practical, don't miss anything, be very very thorough, noting with reference to height in metres and location (using compass) where the defect is. Work methodically around the tree so you cant miss something obvious (someone missed a fungal bracket of ganoderma australe that had been planted in the butress at the base of the stem) Make sure your recommendations include lots of detail. Including a timescale for the works and or re inspections.

Enjoy and good luck!

http://www.aatreesurgeon.co.uk

Did my PTI mon tues weds this week.

You should be given all the notes you will need for the exam part and fungi ident.

Focus on trees and the law, ie duty of care, common/statute law.... Axiom of uniform stress, phenological calendar of trees, structural defects, learn the colonisation strategy and decay mode of fungi plus their significance on trees, health and safety relating to tree inspections.

For the inspection practical, don't miss anything, be very very thorough, noting with reference to height in metres and location (using compass) where the defect is. Work methodically around the tree so you cant miss something obvious (someone missed a fungal bracket of ganoderma australe that had been planted in the butress at the base of the stem) Make sure your recommendations include lots of detail. Including a timescale for the works and or re inspections.

Enjoy and good luck!

advanced arborcare Ltd - Tree Surgeons Poole Home

as you're in Poole, did you do yours with Derek?