arboricultural association

marc laycock

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Yorkshireman I think I love you, lol you get what I mean if there was a qualification via NPTC/CITY&GUILDS for how a team works together then I would get my team and myself to do it as an APPROVED QUALIIFACATION and I think as an assessor yourself maybe you could look into this, I am a sole trader with two guys working with me (who have their nptc/city&guilds tickets) and are both self employed we work well together H&S is always at the front of my mind so everyone go's home at the end of the day in one piece I don't need to work ( I work because I WANT to work) so I never feel the need to rush jobs or take risks/shortcuts.

in answer to your question = it was not an arboricultural association member = NO CONTRACT.

I also like the idea of a "team" assessment, but the problem that would give the 'sole trader' with 'self employed' helpers would surely be that, even if you're not already stretching the definitions of sole trader and self employed, doing such an assessment would clearly demonstrate that the 'sole trader' is, in reality, the employer of the 'self employed' helpers with the obvious change of definition and requirement for employees liability insurance, PAYE etc….

I also like the idea of a "team" assessment, but the problem that would give the 'sole trader' with 'self employed' helpers would surely be that, even if you're not already stretching the definitions of sole trader and self employed, doing such an assessment would clearly demonstrate that the 'sole trader' is, in reality, the employer of the 'self employed' helpers with the obvious change of definition and requirement for employees liability insurance, PAYE etc….

The sole trader is all ready, in reality, the employer of the "self employed" helpers and employees liability insurance is already a legal requirement.

PAYE is not a requirement depending on how the self employed person controls what work he/she does.

The sole trader is all ready, in reality, the employer of the "self employed" helpers and employees liability insurance is already a legal requirement.

PAYE is not a requirement depending on how the self employed person controls what work he/she does.

There are circumstances where that might be the case, there are also circumstances where it might not. My point was that a "team" assessment would make it (more) difficult to argue the case for sole trader / self employed.

To argue what case? There shouldn't be any case to argue?

The sole trader has to have employees liability for anybody that comes into help, but didn't have to pay PAYE as long as those helpers are genuinely self employed.

I think we may have each contributed to some previous similar posts, it ain't worth getting into a head banging match over a set of circumstances, the particulars of which, I suspect we neither have sufficient detail to make an accurate assessment of. If you don't think a sole trader can sub contract a task without the need for EL insurance then knock yourself out.

Oh, for sure you can sub contract stuff, that's dissent to getting someone to help you.

But yes, your right we've done all this before, I wasn't trying to start a new discussion, just trying to as add to this stupid thread, so that the OP might get the gist that there's more to running a tree company than getting an NPTC or two.