Am I too expensive??

Mutley404

I don't think it's a case of adding a price for the kit, it's more a case of the correct kit means the need for less men and less time on the job, money is pretty much the same no matter which way you look at it in my opinion

Sent using Arbtalk Mobile App

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I know what Timberwolf190 means though. If you offer the chipper as an extra the customer says don't worry then just stack the brash in the field (100meters away!) It hasn't actually worked out more lucrative for you- more slog for less money.

Price the job for the job, if you choose to take a digger/tractor/chipper blah blah and bang it out in a day or spend 3days with a wheel barrow that is up to you but the job is still worth the same.

I know what Timberwolf190 means though. If you offer the chipper as an extra the customer says don't worry then just stack the brash in the field (100meters away!) It hasn't actually worked out more lucrative for you- more slog for less money.

Price the job for the job, if you choose to take a digger/tractor/chipper blah blah and bang it out in a day or spend 3days with a wheel barrow that is up to you but the job is still worth the same.

Correct.

Agreed... The point is the more efficient you are with a good team and better kit .. the more jobs you can get to, to make it all pay. The job is more or less the same money, but with allowances for estimating how long it will take and dare I say possibly be cheaper than your competition because your company is so awesome .. Could be a day with a machine you own or 3 days for a company without it. ! And that mr/mrs customer is why I can't give you a price over the phone !! Lol

I wouldn't say so, id rather be known for being expensive and doing a good job than cheap and a rough job.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk 2

I can see your point . Although a cheaper quotation does not mean a rougher job . :001_smile: . I price quite keenly in my local area . This keeps me from doing the miles working and pricing in other areas . Which in turn saves time fuel and money . This does not suit everyone but I like it :thumbup:

I bet there are a lot of posts similar to this one, I've read a few but none can answer my question. Admittedly I'm very green with this doing work for other people stuff :blushing:

I quoted for a job to extract 2 fallen medium sized Beeches from an extremely awkward site; no vehicle/machinery access within 80 metres and no direct line to winch. As far is I could see there was 2 choices, cut everything to small enough lengths to drag by hand or cut into larger lengths and attempt some interesting stuff with the winch. I was to take all the timber and chippings.

I quoted near enough £700+Vat, I sat down and did all my figures and that seemed about right to me, bearing in mind my machinery costs are fairly high because it's fairly big gear which isn't cheap to run.

The chap was not happy with the amount quoted and said I was asking way too much...which I'm not sure about..I'm sure someone with lower running costs might come in and quote less but I can't do that with the cost of running the show charging less than that wouldn't be worth the time, Unless my costings aren't correct:confused1:

I'm in a fortunate position because agriculture is my main source of income, I imagine for the guys solely on timber jobs the margins must be very tight!

Two medium sized Beech trees . There is a potential here to drop your price a little as you will have over £700 +worth of quality firewood . Obviously this

depends on the girth of the trees . Just a thought