First Attempt At Splicing ;-) !!

Olliebradbury

I watched a few videos on samson's and New England's website (printed off the instructions too) I also followed the instructions in the Sampson splicing book (same instructions as online I believe, just worked thought them step by step. Yesterday's took me nearly 4 hours and today's took me just 2 ;-).

Ultimately saved me £20ish per splice!! Happy days!!

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well done.

I have spliced loads of double braid and 16 strand and tenex type ropes. Never managed to complete an 8mm friction cord splice. Apart from Marlowe, but that is loose as a loose thing. I have snapped wire finds and generally get so annoyed with it I end up cutting it out.

Cheers Rich!

I was shown a really simple way of burying the core back into the cover using a loop of thick wire... Instead of pushing it in/through with a fid you can pull it through using a loop of thick wire entered where the fid would exit. It made it some much easier, if thats where you struggle it's well worth a try;-)

Well done.

I have spliced loads of double braid and 16 strand and tenex type ropes. Never managed to complete an 8mm friction cord splice. Apart from Marlowe, but that is loose as a loose thing. I have snapped wire finds and generally get so annoyed with it I end up cutting it out.

I prefer 16 strand generally but I've done lots of OP 8mm. Some of them fly in and I've launched a few across the room!:blushing:

Try Armor prus Rich, both diameters are lovely to do.

Nice work the second is spot on. It would be interesting to see what they break at with a standard class 1. Ive never got any of mine break tested but I would like to, just don't know where.

Cheers buddy,

I tested the first one out today, used it while climbing an oak... Felt strange to think I was dangling off something I had spliced :-/ it didn't budge at all tho... I was soo chuffed! I guess at the end of the day the more you pull on the splice the tighter it gets ;-).

Would be pretty cool to break test it!

I have cut armour pruss aswell. I blame on my hands... Big hands!

I use the wire fids and have snapped them.

Knicked my 16mm polydine rigging line. I was proper gutted until I noticed it was 6 inches from the splice and not the other left which would have been 20 metres or so to cut off.

Got home and spliced that up. Dirty and well used but a breeze compared to 8mm.